cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
timode
Level 9

How to force caching of a file

Hi,

I have to make sure some specific large video files are cached by the Web Gateway in order to prevent high traffic on the internet connection. The url of the video look like this:

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/ampache/play/index.php?ssid=xxxxx&type=video&oid=xx&uid=-1&share_id=xx&share_...

I have to anonimize the parameters, sorry.

Within the ruleset I verified the web cache rules take action (within read and write rules). But the files are always read not from cache.

In the log I see TCP_MISS_RELOAD/200. I am a bit confues about the "_RELOAD". I did a network trace and don't find any headers like no-cache or similar.

trace.png

An idea I have is that as soon as the web gateway finds a ? in the URL it does not cache because content might be dynamic. But I',m not sure.

Is it somehow possible to force a file to be cached an loaded from cache?

best regards

Timo

0 Kudos
2 Replies
McAfee Employee

Re: How to force caching of a file

Hi Timo,

You are correct in your findings, MWG has strict rules it follows when it comes to caching. If it suspects that the file could be dynamic (includes parameters in the URL) then it wont cache it.

Best Regards,

Jon

0 Kudos
timode
Level 9

Re: How to force caching of a file

Hi Jon,

Is there a way to bypass this behaviour for some specific URLs? By using a whitelist or similar? I have to cache some very big mp4 files whose URL include parameters.

best regards

Timo

0 Kudos