Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
haaris Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 6

How to create a User-defined Category in Webgateway

In Webgateway there are different URL categorise like business,Software/Hardware,Banking etc.,I want to create a user-defined category where I can add some URL category according to my client need and use it multiple times in different ruleset.

I have seen an option in categories but  i dont know how to use it.

Please guide me for the same

5 Replies
MSchneider McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 6

Re: How to create a User-defined Category in Webgateway

Go into the settings for the URL Filtering engine and use the extended list feature in there.

Michael Schneider
Lead Product Manager for Web Protection
(•‿•)
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 6

I have created the category as mentioned by you,but i m confuse how to use it in the rule.I have attached the screenshot to explain you so that u can help me..

There is one rule named Risk_Management in the screenshot in which there is a line URL.categories<Default>at least one in list Risk_Management_Category_Allowed.In Default we will select user-defined category that we created in URL filtering engine but after at least one in list  what

we will use in Risk_Management_Category_Allowed???If u want more information i can provide u..

Category-rule.jpg

Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Can anyone explain me with example so that I can understand how to use it in ruleset

Hello,

I think you are on a good track... basically what you do is:

- Take the URL (for example "mcafee.com")

- Put it into an extended list item like this: mcafee.com -> User-Defined-Category-100

- Configure the extended list to be used in the URL filter settings, as you described

From now on when someone accesses "mcafee.com" the category is no longer "Software/Hardware" but "User-Defined-Category-100". So your rule could look like

If URL.Categories at least one in list <My List> Then Stop Rule Set

In "My List" you add the category "User-Defined-Category-100".

So when someone accesses mcafee.com the URL filter lookup will result into "User-Defined-Category-100". If this category is in the list "My List" it will match the rule and the selected action is executed.

Best,

Andre

Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Thanks a lot Andre..

Your Information really helped m and I am able to create the rule and it works fine. .

Just want to confirm can we change the name of user defined categories

Thanks once again for your support

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community