cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Does Web Gateway Handle License Expiration?

Hello everyone.  I've got a quick question that hopefully someone here can answer.  Our Web Gateway license expires on the 21st.  We are in the progress of trying to obtain a new license, but there has been a hold up along the way in procuring the new license.  Does anyone know what the appliance will do when the license expires?  Will it continue to forward traffic, or stop working all together?  All of our internet traffic here is routed to the appliance via policy based routes and if the appliance ceases to function, we will need to have all of our traffic re-routed until we can procure our new license.  Any information that can be provided about how the Web Gateway will handle this would be greatly appeciated.

Thanks in advance for your assitance!

6 Replies
Highlighted

Re: How Does Web Gateway Handle License Expiration?

If it is a purchased license, it is supposed to continue proxying traffic but not filter.

If it is an evaluation license, it is supposed to stop all traffic.

Private message me your company/contact info and I can lookup the status of your license.

Hey Erik,

Thanks for the quick response.  It is a purchased license and I will go ahead and PM you the info.  Thanks again!

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 7

Correction: It will continue to filter, but will stop updating patterns and engines.

best,

Michael

My customer will be expire.  When license expire Web Gateway still filter with current policy but can not update and edit policy? Or can you explain to me? Thanks!

asabban
Level 17
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 6 of 7

Hello,

correct. If the license expired, and the license is a purchased license, you will not see any difference in the behaviour for the users. MWG will just stop receiving updates, so you won´t be protected against the latest threats.

If you look into the Policy and the Error Handler, you can configure Incidents for license expiration, the receive a warning if a license is about to expire. Doing so you can ensure the license gets replaced before it expires.

Best,

Andre

Ok thanks so much, Andre!