Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
McAfee Employee jebeling
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 2

How Can I Deploy MWG Virtual via OVF? McAfee only offers MWG ISOs.

Jump to solution

I've had several customers request OVFs to ease deployment. McAfee only currently offers ISO, because each customer may want a different resource configuration and also will need to install their own licensing. ISO's can generically be used across physical and virtual platforms with different resource configurations. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee jebeling
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 2

Re: How Can I Deploy MWG Virtual via OVF? McAfee only offers MWG ISOs.

Jump to solution

This is not the only way to do this, but I have successfully used the following process to create an OVF that can be used on VMWare ESXi and will start with the configuration wizard enabled and available on first boot.

Use VM Workstation (I used 15.5 most recently) select create new virtual machine and set up the resources as you would like them to be on the target infrastructure. Be sure to choose hardware version compatibility that matches the target system.

Point to the location of the ISO you selected for initial installation. Choose Linux CentOS 7 64 bit for the OS. Give it a name and location. Be sure not to allocate all the disk space initially and choose the size of the disk for the target system.

Power on the VM and allow the installation to complete to the point that the configuration wizard is displayed, then immediately power down the VM.

I recommend deleting the CDROM from the settings at this point so that you do not save the ISO image it is connected to. Select powered down VM and then choose File > Export OVF.

Import the OVF on your target system by building a new VM from the OVF file. Once done on first boot the new VM should come up to the configuration screen. If you do not monitor the console, you will need to reimport the OVF to a completely new folder.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
McAfee Employee jebeling
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 2

Re: How Can I Deploy MWG Virtual via OVF? McAfee only offers MWG ISOs.

Jump to solution

This is not the only way to do this, but I have successfully used the following process to create an OVF that can be used on VMWare ESXi and will start with the configuration wizard enabled and available on first boot.

Use VM Workstation (I used 15.5 most recently) select create new virtual machine and set up the resources as you would like them to be on the target infrastructure. Be sure to choose hardware version compatibility that matches the target system.

Point to the location of the ISO you selected for initial installation. Choose Linux CentOS 7 64 bit for the OS. Give it a name and location. Be sure not to allocate all the disk space initially and choose the size of the disk for the target system.

Power on the VM and allow the installation to complete to the point that the configuration wizard is displayed, then immediately power down the VM.

I recommend deleting the CDROM from the settings at this point so that you do not save the ISO image it is connected to. Select powered down VM and then choose File > Export OVF.

Import the OVF on your target system by building a new VM from the OVF file. Once done on first boot the new VM should come up to the configuration screen. If you do not monitor the console, you will need to reimport the OVF to a completely new folder.

View solution in original post

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community