cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lsb_randyc
Level 7

Help with Proxy.pac file implementation

Jump to solution

We need to roll out a proxy.pac file within our environment due to issues with mobile users, but I'm running into a road block testing this.  I've done a lot of research on the topic, so I have a good understanding of the PAC file and what it does for our environment, but I'm just trying to test it locally on 1 PC to make sure it works before rolling it out to everyone, but it won't forward my traffic through the web filter.  What am I missing here?  If this is not the correct way to test the functionality of the .pac file, how do I do so without having to upload it to a web server, etc.?

Message was edited by: lsb_randyc on 9/20/11 11:54:41 AM CDT
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
eelsasser
Level 15

Re: Help with Proxy.pac file implementation

Jump to solution

I recently had a similar experience.

Don't ask me why, but for some reason, the name "proxy.pac" does not work for me when used on a local drive. Try renaming to proxy.txt and use the syntax:

file://c:/proxy.txt

Also, you can host the pac on the gateway as well.

Activate the File Server:

Capture1.JPG

Upload the file:

Capture2.JPG

Set your browser:

Capture.JPG

Message was edited by: eelsasser on 9/20/11 2:17:23 PM EDT
0 Kudos
8 Replies
DBO
Level 9

Jump to solution

You can use PacTester to test your Pac File

http://code.google.com/p/pactester/

0 Kudos
eelsasser
Level 15

Jump to solution

I recently had a similar experience.

Don't ask me why, but for some reason, the name "proxy.pac" does not work for me when used on a local drive. Try renaming to proxy.txt and use the syntax:

file://c:/proxy.txt

Also, you can host the pac on the gateway as well.

Activate the File Server:

Capture1.JPG

Upload the file:

Capture2.JPG

Set your browser:

Capture.JPG

Message was edited by: eelsasser on 9/20/11 2:17:23 PM EDT
0 Kudos
lsb_randyc
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you so much for the help eelsasser!  Your configuration worked like a charm, just like I was expecting.  The only question I have for you now is how do you access the web gateway once those settings are in place?  Do you have a PC outside of those settings or did you figure out a way to do it while still having those applied to your PC?  I've tried most things I can think of but still can't get access....

0 Kudos
eelsasser
Level 15

Jump to solution

While that PAC file you are using might be ok for testing, it is not complete for a production system. You must write is so there are exclusions for hosts on your local network.

Attached is a doc about PAC files. I wrote it for MWG6, but the PAC file itself remains the same. Use some of the snippets in there to exclude around your local subnets and internal domains.

0 Kudos
lsb_randyc
Level 7

Jump to solution

Eelsasser,

Wow, that document is exactly what I was looking for!  You saved me from having to Google all the domain specific commands I knew I was going to need.  Just didn't realize accessing the Web Gateway would be part of that as well.  Thank you so much for all your help!

0 Kudos
eelsasser
Level 15

Jump to solution

Cool.

Yeah, trying to proxy the GUI through itself is a challenge. Especially since I restrict only to port 80 and 443 on mine, so the 4711/4712 ports don't go through at all.

0 Kudos
cnewman
Level 10

Jump to solution

Both suggestions are good advice, I would also add:

1) Uncheck automatically detect settings

2) Make sure you are saving in ANSI with notepad as IE can be funny about encodings, UTF8 in particular is a problem with IE6.

The last time I saw an issue with proxy.pac locally it was actually local security blocking it as highly suspicious behavior.

eelsasser
Level 15

Jump to solution

Nice.

This actually fixed it for me, too.

I had to save with Notepad to ANSI, and file://c:/proxy.pac started working on my local drive.

Good job, Chris.

0 Kudos