Did you mean: 
hchaturv
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 6

HTTP Version downgrade in McAfee Web Gateway

Hi Community,

While working with my MWG, I observed that all the HTTP CONNECT requests were being sent with HTTP/1.1 while responses were coming as HTTP/1.0. There are no explicit rule sets applied that would set this protocol version for this.

While assessing the requests, I observed that Request from my system to MWG were being sent as HTTP/1.1 while requests being forwarded from MWG to Proxy server as HTTP/1.0, thus it appears there is some protocol downgrade in MWG.

Can anyone please confirm the reason for this downgrade?

5 Replies
asabban
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 6

Re: HTTP Version downgrade in McAfee Web Gateway

Hi,

for the CONNECT request it does not make a difference if it is send in HTTP/1.0 or HTTP/1.1. HTTP/1.1 will allow more requests to come in the same TCP connection, but since it is TLS there is only one CONNECT per connection, and no further requests are expected.

So technically, it should not make a difference. Do you see any problems with this?

hchaturv
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 6

Hi Asabban,

Thanks for your reply.

Part of my question has already been answered that it won't make much difference, kudos for that.

However, I'm still looking for "Why?", because traffic apart from McAfee network (like my personal laptop connected to my home Wi-fi) receives responses as HTTP/1.1

asabban
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

Hello,

I cannot think of a specific reason. I assume it probably always has been done like this, and noone ever touched it 🙂 If you see some issues with that behaviour, probably we may need to file an SR and take a look. As mentioned - from my understanding - it should not cause any trouble, as it does not have any effect on how the TCP connection is handled or have any impact on how the connectivity to the destination server is done. 

But we have seen a lot of problems with things that should not cause problems, so I am happy to learn 🙂

Otherwise this might be more of a cosmetic issue.

Best,
Andre

hchaturv
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 6

Hi Asabban,

I don't seem to have been bothered by this, however a customer has already raised an SR for this and is asking for reason for this.

asabban
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

Hello,

ah, cool. Let's see if my colleagues have some better explanation 🙂

Andre

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community