cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kent.dyer
Level 9

Google Reader oddities

Jump to solution

We have a few users (including me) that use Google Reader for following RSS feeds, and some behavior I've noted is that when I look at my subscriptions in reader, if I go to the top of a group of RSS feeds I've created, I get an error message:  "You don't have permission to view this feed."

If I view the site on a non-proxy or our old ISA servers, it shows me the new feed items for RSS feeds within the group.

Capture.JPG

This is through the MWG (7.1.5).

Any thoughts?

Kent Dyer

Message was edited by: kent.dyer on 10/11/11 4:51:51 PM CDT
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kent.dyer
Level 9

Re: Google Reader oddities

Jump to solution

Arg, D'oh even. 

The URL is listed by Trusted Source as "Anonymizing Utilities."   That doesn't show up when you do a single URL lookup.  I had to pull out the log entries:

[13/Oct/2011:14:13:58 -0500] "kent.dyer" 172.20.25.32 200 "GET http://www.google.com/reader/api/0/stream/contents/user%2F04110272958250615270%2Flabel%2FInfoSec?r=n... HTTP/1.1" "Anonymizing Utilities, Internet Services" "Minimal Risk" "text/javascript" 62208 "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0) AppleWebKit/535.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/14.0.835.202 Safari/535.1" "" "0"

Feel like a dolt for not going there earlier. 

Thanks for the help - ticket is open with TrustedSource now.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
shellprompt
Level 7

Jump to solution

Kent,

I believe you will find that the actual feed is being blocked, Google reader still gets the original content from the site.  are you able to access the RSS / ATOM feed link directly?

I would check your access log (or access denied log) for the rule that you are matching.

0 Kudos
kent.dyer
Level 9

Jump to solution

I can get to the feeds directly - like the RSS feed for Wired, but from my access.log I see it's throwing a 407 status when I am at the top of the group.  407 is: "Proxy Authentication Required."

Doesn't matter if I use IE, FF or Chrome (I've seen odd authentication issues with FF.)   I have turned authentication off and back on in my rules, and it still throws the 407.

Kent

Message was edited by: kent.dyer on 10/12/11 3:59:48 PM CDT
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

We had the same issue, I solved it by whitelisting from authenticaiton the URL   *google.com/reader*

0 Kudos
kent.dyer
Level 9

Jump to solution

Tried that - no joy.   Even if I turned off authentication - the problem still exists.

It seems that if there is any category blocking rules in line - they block this.  The URL is categorized on Trusted Source as Internet Services, which we allow.

If I put myself in the Default User group - I get a HTTP/1.1 403 URLBlocked

If I put myself in the "Unfiltered" user group which uses coaching for sites that normally violate our policy, I get  HTTP/1.1 403 CoachingSessionExceeded

Even if I global whitelist the URL, I get HTTP/1.1 403 URLBlocked

Turn off anything that refers to categories, and it works fine.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

How are you whitelisting the URL?  I looked back at our config, we just put it in the whitelist for an authenticated user rulset, not from the actual authentication ruleset.

I'm curious what shows up in the access.logs for it?  That is how I figured out the string to use.

0 Kudos
kent.dyer
Level 9

Jump to solution

Arg, D'oh even. 

The URL is listed by Trusted Source as "Anonymizing Utilities."   That doesn't show up when you do a single URL lookup.  I had to pull out the log entries:

[13/Oct/2011:14:13:58 -0500] "kent.dyer" 172.20.25.32 200 "GET http://www.google.com/reader/api/0/stream/contents/user%2F04110272958250615270%2Flabel%2FInfoSec?r=n... HTTP/1.1" "Anonymizing Utilities, Internet Services" "Minimal Risk" "text/javascript" 62208 "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0) AppleWebKit/535.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/14.0.835.202 Safari/535.1" "" "0"

Feel like a dolt for not going there earlier. 

Thanks for the help - ticket is open with TrustedSource now.

0 Kudos
kent.dyer
Level 9

Jump to solution

The issue is now resolved.  Trusted Source evaluated the URL and removed "Anonymizing Utilities" and all works now.  Yay!

0 Kudos
dhungate
Level 7

Jump to solution

I've been working on this one for a while as well, I'm running 7.1.5 and my first rule is a Global URL Whitelist on *.google.com/reader*, but I'm still getting " You don't have permission to view this feed."

0 Kudos
dhungate
Level 7

Jump to solution

Probably a related issue is that I'm not able to run Google Sync in Chrome anymore either running 7.1.x when I was in 6.x. The sign in tool just spins and spins.

0 Kudos