cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gmail repeatedly prompting for authentication

Jump to solution

I have installed McAfee Web Gateway in Proxy mode, when i try to open gmail, browser is repeatedly prompting for the authentication as below from clients6.google.com:

gmail auth prompt.jpg

Regards,

PRASANTH.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee

Re: Gmail repeatedly prompting for authentication

Jump to solution

In case you're not using default ruler set for authentication from library i would suggest you to test this. I can remember similar issue while using custom ruleset for authentication, not sure what the issue was at leased. Anyway default rule set worked fine and the issue was fixed immediately.

-Sergej

0 Kudos
19 Replies

Jump to solution

And a quick glance, it sounds like your proxy is behaving correctly for that mode but your browser isn't sending NTLM credentials. Does your browser authenticate correctly for other https sites?

By default, Chrome leverages the system settings for Internet Options, including what hosts, domains, and IPs to trust. Do your settings cover the address of the proxy?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi ,

Thanks for the reply,

Yes other https sites are working fine with the NTLM authentication. Only gmail is prompting for the authentication as shown in the above picture.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

If you'd be willing to post a rule trace export for affected gmail traffic and any kind of unaffected HTTPS requests, I can take a peak at it. You can PM me if you want to send it directly instead of posting it.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi

How i can attach the logs in this post?

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Jump to solution

you're welcome to create new Service Request for this issue, one of our engineers will send you detailed description for further troubleshooting and will have a look at your trace files.

-Sergej

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Ugh, I'm sorry ​, I never saw your question about posting logs. I don't think you can attach whole files or anything like that, but if you're able to run a rule trace and export the results, you could upload them online somewhere and link to them. Or you can send me a direct message to exchange contact info if you're able to share via email but not by public post.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi deathbywedgie,

I have uploaded the logs in the below link:

Dropbox - Gmail Autnetication.zip

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Jump to solution

Hello,

I think you are not using the default rule set.

The default criteria of "Authenticate With User Database" (in your case "Authenticate with AD Database") should be:

"Authentication.IsAuthenticated equals false AND

Authentication.Failed equals false"

Authentication2.PNG

and not:

"Always"

Authentication1.PNG

I am not sure if this will solve your issue, but I recommend to import the default rule set from library, make your adjustments (e.g. Skip Authorization for Client IP's) and test it again.

If it is still not working please create a new service request and provide a Feedback file, Rule Engine and Connection Tracing files for troubleshooting.

Regards,

Marcel

Jump to solution

Hello mkutrieba,

Thanks for the update.

I am using the default authentication rule, i am facing this issue only for the Gmail, other site are working fine without any issue.

Regards,

PRASANTH.

0 Kudos