cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
malware-alerts
Level 10

Force Progress Page to open in new window or tab?

Some of our users complain (and I agree with them) that when they download a file from a webpage, they cannot keep reading the page they download the file from while the file is downloading because the MWG Progress Page opens in the same tab/window.

I know you can force a new tab or window to be opened when clicking the HTML link of a web page by using the 'target' attribute but obviously this has to be done on the source website the file is being downloaded from.

Is there anything that could be added to the html progress page in the MWG templates to force this page to be opened in a new window?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm far from being a web developper

0 Kudos
5 Replies
eelsasser
Level 15

Re: Force Progress Page to open in new window or tab?

I have tried to find a way to do this since the first time i touched Webwasher 10 years ago.

I have not been able to find a way to do this outside the context of the web page that you are downloading from.

I believe it's technically impossible.

0 Kudos
trishoar
Level 11

Not an ideal solution, but you could include a link on the progress page to take you back to the page you were on, and this could be made to open in a new tab. thus giving an easy way back whilst the download is in progress.

Tris

malware-alerts
Level 10

I thought of something like that, and am wondering if a blank page with an automatic redirect (in new window/tab) could work. Would save the users from having to click again to download.

I'll test and see how it goes.

malware-alerts
Level 10

Sorry @Trishoar misread your post. Your approach is probably better, I thought you meant replacing the default progress page with a page that has a link to download the file in a new window.

Having a link to the previous page in the progress page is probably even cleaner. I just may try that.

0 Kudos
asabban
Level 17

Hello,

the biggest problem I see is "getting back to where you were". When I download a Debian ISO for example a couple of redirect are made until MWG finally redirects to the Progress Page. There is no way to access the "previously" accessed URL. For some downloads this may work when a Referer header exists, but at least for the Downloads I tried there was no Referer header available, so it is difficult to see where a user was before.

Placing a link to the progress page which creates a new window where the progress page continues is not a problem, however you will see two progress pages then unless you find something clever to redirect the previous window to somewhere else.

Best,

Andre

0 Kudos