cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filtering and reporting of .jar files

In webreporter, you can do custom filters for reports to show file types downloaded, etc.  Is their the ability to create a report for .jar downloads?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
eelsasser
Level 15

Re: Filtering and reporting of .jar files

The Media Type of .jar files is usually logged as "application/java-archive"

You should be ablet o include that in the report query.

It also depends on the log. If you are logging the media type from the response header, the web site could be calling it something else as well.

0 Kudos

Yeah, so for Webreporter I'm not seeing that file type, unless I'm just missing something?

0 Kudos
alexott
Level 11

Hello

Could you provide us a link to a file that isn't detected as .jar?

0 Kudos
alexott
Level 11

I forgot to ask main question - which MWG version are you using?

0 Kudos
sroering
Level 13

Web Reporter can only make reports on the information it was provided. I would start with verifying the data in the access log because there are a lot of reasons the media type my not be available in the log.  Check the access logs for URLs that ends in .jar. (there is a space after jar to indicate end of the request. A typical req_line looks like this. "GET http://somesite/something.jar HTTP/1.1" 

grep -n ".jar " access.log

Then check that you see "application/java-archive" someplace on those lines. If not, then we'll need to look at the gateway configuration.  If so, then we would need to verify that the log lines are being imported (ie, not errors).  If those conditions are met, then the data should be available for reporting.

0 Kudos

Sorry for the late response, was on vacation yesterday

MWG version is 7.1.0.

I'm not sure if I'm confusing the original problem.  I'm basically just trying to filter on a file type for a report in WebReporter.  In the screencap below, you will notice there is not .jar filetype.  Regardless of how a .jar is displayed in access logs, just what a .jar would show up here as a filetype?

webreporter 12-15-2011.jpg

0 Kudos
sroering
Level 13

Yes, I understand, and I defer to my earlier e-mail.  Unless the medita type is in the log file, you will not be able to report on it, so I would still first check the access log has the data.

If the access log has the correct media type, we can move to checking Web Reporter.  If it's not there, than that issue needs to be addressed first.

I'm not 100%sure if Web Reporter will expand the list for new media-types, but I would assume Jar would be covered.  If not, we would need to try other solutions.

0 Kudos

Ok, here is an example, and it appears to show up in the access.logs.  I have not tried to regex a solution, but usually you can use regex in the WebReporter queries for certain stuff in the URL.  I didn't see regex as an option for this drop down.

http://wap.mgmaps.com/get.php?version=13&platform=main&submit=Download

"" 10.10.10.10 200 "GET http://wap.mgmaps.com/mgmaps.jar HTTP/1.1" "Public Information, Mobile Phone" "MinimalRisk" "application/java-archive" 294755 "Mozilla/5.0(Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/535.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/16.0.912.63Safari/535.7" "" "0"

0 Kudos
sroering
Level 13

OK.. And after importing the log, the media type list doesn't contain jar?

Could you make a report on detail data with a site filter for "wap.mgmaps.com" that shows the media type.  I'm curius to know what WebReporter is mapping that value to.

Perhaps the media type is getting mapped to something different than "jar".

0 Kudos