cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

False positive detection

I have come across the thread that clearly explains the programs that use nsis installer, are being detected as a possible threat. Link to the thread is below,

Since you say that the empty installer should be suspicious, I'd like to say that I downloaded nsis installer myself which is located in the following link http://sourceforge.net/projects/nsis/files/NSIS%203%20Pre-release/3.0b1/nsis-3.0b1-setup.exe/downloa...

Even this was detected as a possible threat. you can see the virustotal analysis.

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/7e5c203584c538205b345d91249fca8af03a8cf186c8c870a86374812d8103a5/...

i really hope we can find a solution to this because I do run a lot of programs that are in nsis and mcafee blows me with alerts all the time.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
akill
Level 9

Re: False positive detection

How iare your gateway antimalware settings configured?

On policy go to Settings>Engines>Anti-Malware>Gateway Antimalware

To see if you can low the settings here and avoid to have this issue

0 Kudos
asabban
Level 17

Hello,

I have a default installation of MWG running and can download the file without any problem. Are you also using MWG as the product which blocks access?

I recommend to file a service request so allow support to replicate the issue and see under which circumstances the installer is detected incorrectly and apply a correction to the engine/patterns. Probably this will also resolve the issues mentioned in the other thread.

Best,

Andre

0 Kudos

Lowering my settings will not fix the problem at all. However did it work for you? anyways the problem is official nsis installer setup is being detected as a threat by mcafee. I have been using McAfee-GW-Edition for sometime now and started to get really annoyed by all these alerts. Using nsis installer is very common for any developer.

0 Kudos
bgartama
Level 9

If you would like for support to be able to verify the false positive and whitelist it, We recommend that a ticket is created so that this can be sent to the Anti-malware team. If you do not want to open a ticket with support, please follow the KB to submit the file for further analysis.

McAfee KnowledgeBase - Web Gateway: How to submit virus and anti-malware samples (false positives or...

0 Kudos

I believe that this is already done not only by us but by other parties as well. NSIS installer has been whitelisted by almost every other AV, Mcafee still fails to do so.

0 Kudos
bgartama
Level 9

feel free to pm me the SR and I check the status of the case.

0 Kudos

Thank you and I will PM you once you started following me, otherwise I am unable to send you a PM it seems

0 Kudos
bgartama
Level 9

No problem. You should be able to now.

alexhilda
Level 7

would like to see an update on this thread about the situation.

Thank you

0 Kudos