cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading Timeouts with files via an application

Jump to solution

One of my clients has an application that as part of the package allows them to share documents. When the documents are a bit larger they oftem timeout. 

I never see this in the trace log. How do I extend the timeout period of attempts for download of files?

Stewart
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
asabban
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 5

Re: Downloading Timeouts with files via an application

Jump to solution

Hello,

can you tell if the error message is thrown by the server or by the client application? It sounds like either this is a server error displayed because the data is not forwarded in time or an error thrown by the client, as it is waiting for data.

It is likely not MWG closing the connection, so playing around with the timeout won't help. We need to check if MWG holds back the file without providing bytes to the party which complains about the connection not proceeding.

Is this an application which is publically available, so I have a chance to replicate this? Or an internal application?

If it is not accessible I think we need to collect data and analyze what is happening, so we better file an SR. If you would like to diagnose yourself I would do the following:

- Enable connection traces
- Replicate the issue

If the message is shown in the browser or given by the server we should be able to find it in the connection traces. If we got it we can take a look at the communication to see what might go wrong.

If it is an error given by the client we need to look at all the requests to find the specific URL that is causing the timeout. And check if we can see any delays.

Best,
Andre

View solution in original post

4 Replies
asabban
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

Hello,

timeouts might occur if a connection is "stalled", e.g. the client or server is preparing something, but no data at all is sent in the connection. But there are multiple timeouts which can occur, and an open question is if the timeout occurs on client, proxy or web server.

Can you tell how long the timeout is approximately? 60 seconds? 120 seconds? etc?

To make a quick test you can put in an "Enable Proxy Control" event for the affected URL. In the Enable Proxy Control setting there is an option to increase timeouts. This will affect all timeouts within the proxy. You can set this to 300 or 600 seconds and check if the behaviour changes.

Note: Please make sure this is only applied to the affected hosts/URLs. Do not globally increase timeouts, as this might have unforeseen impact on performance.

Thank you,
Andre

Jump to solution

From what I can tell this is less than 60 seconds.

By the way, I am getting no blocks or issues showing when I run "Rule Tracing" for the client during the activity.  By the way, the client says when not behind the MWG, the issue does not occure. 

Here is the message from the app when this happens.

System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond

at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Receive(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)

at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)

Stewart
asabban
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

Hello,

can you tell if the error message is thrown by the server or by the client application? It sounds like either this is a server error displayed because the data is not forwarded in time or an error thrown by the client, as it is waiting for data.

It is likely not MWG closing the connection, so playing around with the timeout won't help. We need to check if MWG holds back the file without providing bytes to the party which complains about the connection not proceeding.

Is this an application which is publically available, so I have a chance to replicate this? Or an internal application?

If it is not accessible I think we need to collect data and analyze what is happening, so we better file an SR. If you would like to diagnose yourself I would do the following:

- Enable connection traces
- Replicate the issue

If the message is shown in the browser or given by the server we should be able to find it in the connection traces. If we got it we can take a look at the communication to see what might go wrong.

If it is an error given by the client we need to look at all the requests to find the specific URL that is causing the timeout. And check if we can see any delays.

Best,
Andre

View solution in original post

Jump to solution

I guess I will open a ticket thanks for the help.

Stewart
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community