cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download without Virescan and trickling slow

We use the Webgateway as a reverse Proxy. The following Problem is only relevant for large files. We have some Request which do not need to be virus-scanned, that is not a problem. We don't want to use trickling for this files because the client which downloads such files should get full speed of his Internet connection from the beginning. The Problem is that if we don't use Trickling the WebGateway still will wait to deliver the files to the clients until it has received the full file from the backend server itself. My first guess was that it does that because of the MediaType detection so we disabled that in the response cycle, too. But the result was the same. If I download a 600MB File from console the client doesn't receive a single byte of the file for the first 40sec., than it will download the file very fast. The Only way I found to get another result (full download speed from the beginning) was if I enabled a "HTTP tunnel". I don't want to do that, because we do a lot more on that ReverseProxy. One Example would be to spoof the Web server or do a rudimentary DOS Protection. I can't do that with "HTTP tunnel" because the only ruleset applied to a "HTTP tunnel" is the logging cycle. Any suggestions? Regards
1 Reply
asabban
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: Download without Virescan and trickling slow

Hi,

there is some sort of a "flag" that is used internally within the proxy, which means "I need the complete file to proceed". This can be set by multiple properties, not only AV and Media Type detection, but also Body.Size and other properties. As soon as this property is used MWG known it needs the complete file and will do "data tricklick"; "progress pages" or just hold back the file until it is downloaded compeltely.

From what you say it looks like there is some property in use which causes MWG to need the full file. Otherwise the response should just flow through the proxy, without impact on the speed or MWG holding back the file.

Best,
Andre

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community