cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cestrada
Level 7

Darn NCAA Stream Sites

With the start of NCAA March Madness, just curious if anyone is attempting a method to "block" NCAA stream sites or if people are blocking "SPORT" categories for the next couple weeks? 

I've been asked to consider a proactive approach, does anyone know if there's a way to get the mcafee webgateway to block based on "bandwidth quota" or to allow streaming from a cached perspective?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
alexott
Level 11

Re: Darn NCAA Stream Sites

Hello

Which version of MWG are you using? in MWG 7.1.6 there is Streaming Detector Filter, so you should be able to block only streams with rules like:

IF (URL.Category == Sport) AND (StreamDetector.IsMediaStream == true) THEN Block

0 Kudos
cestrada
Level 7

I am running 7.1.6- do you have  asample XML I can append?  I'm not sure what "minimal probablility (1-100%) " means when you create MediaStream rule.

0 Kudos
alexott
Level 11

Default probability should be in range 60-70% - you should specify this value in the settings for StreamDetector (it will be already created if you're installed MWG from scratch). After that you need to create rule as I described above with setting that you created.

In the Rules Library there is rule that uses streaming detector - it's in the "Gateway Antimalware" section and called "Skip on streaming media"

0 Kudos
cestrada
Level 7

Capture.JPG

I created the rule and used the probability of 60% ---but I dont see in the rule libary the option for "skip on streaming media" under Gateway Antimalware.  

0 Kudos
jbmartin6
Level 9

You could use the Throttle.Server event to limit connections to 100k or some other limit. This would leave regular browsing and smaller streams usable but clamp down on large high traffic HD streams

0 Kudos