Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 5

Customized block page

Jump to solution

Hello,

Can we create a block page which can accept values that fills up a list a rule?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
eelsasser
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 5 of 5

Re: Customized block page

Jump to solution

I think you are confusing subscribed list with External List. They are similar but have different formats and uses.

A subscribed list must have an entry on the first line that identifies the list type:

type=string
type=iprange
type=regex
etc...

And the file looks something like this. Comments optional, but both fields must be "quoted" when you use comments.

Image1.jpg

Image3.jpg

With a configuration of something like this:

Image6.jpg

And a result of something like this:

Image2.jpg

And you use it like any other list:

Image5.jpg

on 4/19/13 10:00:47 AM EDT

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

I just need a way to allow set of users to add up values to a rule without accessing MWG UI. It may be a website or username.

eelsasser
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 5

Jump to solution

A block page does not have the context to modify any of the static elements inside of a list in the policy.

The only thing you can do is have PDStorage integrated into your policy. You can have a string/wildcard value append to a PDStorage list and use that list in subsequent policy. However PDstorage is temporary and will expire/delete after a period of time. Plus, what's to say that a user couldn't just enter * into a white list and go anywhere?

A better solution might be to develop an internal web application on an intranet site and have users edit lists there. Then MWG can use a subscribed list to pull the values and use them in a policy. You could then have syntax and validation of the entries before they get added to the list for consumption.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

This is a good idea! Thanks! I was just trying to test the concept of extracting content from subscribed list. I set up a FTP server and created text file at a defined location. When MWG tries to pull up information it could not understand how to process different values. I used type=string and picked contains=User. This bring me to my question - how does MWG understand different values and can we also add comment to the list for each feild record. I think i would like to make xml file at http server for production but just for now as i have ftp server ready i want to test out the concept. Can we use txt or excel file to prepare subcribed list file? If i try it with xml what should be the attributes and how would mwg understand it...

Regards,

Satbir

eelsasser
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution

I think you are confusing subscribed list with External List. They are similar but have different formats and uses.

A subscribed list must have an entry on the first line that identifies the list type:

type=string
type=iprange
type=regex
etc...

And the file looks something like this. Comments optional, but both fields must be "quoted" when you use comments.

Image1.jpg

Image3.jpg

With a configuration of something like this:

Image6.jpg

And a result of something like this:

Image2.jpg

And you use it like any other list:

Image5.jpg

on 4/19/13 10:00:47 AM EDT
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community