cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying the appliance configuration file

I have 15 WGs that in general will be all configured exactly the same. Is there a way of copying the appliance configuration to each so I don't have to update 15 times?

I appreciate the contents of the network setting would need to be updated before applying.

Thanks

0 Kudos
10 Replies
jont717
Level 12

Re: Copying the appliance configuration file

If you run in Central Management mode, all of the WG's will sync the config file.  You only ever have to sign into one gateway to manage them all.

0 Kudos

Hi thx for your reply but i thought in central mgt mode the actual appliance specific configurations under configuration appliance/configuration file editor do not get copied?

0 Kudos
asabban
Level 17

Hi Iain,

in the cluster the policy gets synched to all machines. Everything you see under "Configuration" is not synched. However you can log into one GUI and maintain the "Configuration" tab of all cluster members from one machine.

Best,

Andre

0 Kudos

Hi Andre, I appreciate that part. However I have 15 machines that will be configured identically at the appliance config except the network settings plus a couple more. I was hoping I could take a copy of the appliance configuration, amend the network settings etc then copy to appliance 2 and so on. Trying to save myself from work.

Is this possible?

0 Kudos
jspanitz
Level 7

We'd like to do this as well.  We have a test config and we are getting ready to roll it out to production.  We thought we could d/l the config, edit the IP and name and upload to the new device.  If that's not supported, what is the supported method if you do not have central management?

0 Kudos
asabban
Level 17

Hello,

I think we do not really have an easy option to do this. The configuration is split into a couple of configuration files, and there is a hash built on top of them to prevent manual changes. So doing manually changes is possible, but there is no protection that will prevent you from injecting a broken configuration file into the MWG, which could lead to really bad things. Usually the GUI does things like checking if an IP is valid - if you make manual changes to the files these checks are no longer done.

Therefore we do not support this.

However if you accept the risk it should be possible. Actually I would only perform this before the central management is created. Otherwise all nodes hold the configuration files of all other nodes, which may become a problem if you play around with the configuration on one node. Also some things (like domain membership) must be configured manually.

If the systems are already in a central management or in use I would rather not touch them and apply the configuration manually.

Best,

Andre

0 Kudos

Ok, Andre thx. Sounds like I have a good friday afternoon job coming up!!!

Oh, have you looked at my other post re central management configuration? Would you like to comment?

Cheers

0 Kudos
eelsasser
Level 15

Would it be enough for you to at least set hostname/IP addresses, DNS, NTP and (optionally) Static Routes?

I have a way to to get those basic functions cloned between machines.

But you'd have to manually go into every other item, like license, domain membership, proxies, central management, etc. and set everything else manually.

But you can at least get it onto the network a few minutes quicker with unique IP addresses.

0 Kudos
eelsasser
Level 15

Check out this utility to see if it's helpful for you.

https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-3622

0 Kudos