cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bragot
Level 7

Content Type Adaptation in MWG7

Hi All.  I'm in the process of migrating from MWG6 to 7.x.  I have some white list entries for Content Type Adaptation in our MWG6 config.  How do I implement the same thing in MWG7?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
McAfee Employee

Re: Content Type Adaptation in MWG7

Web Gateway 7 doesnt have Content Type Adaptation on by default, so there isnt really a need to migrate entries related to it.

Best,

Jon

0 Kudos
alexott
Level 11

You can look to MediaTYpe.FixContentType event, but you need 7.3.2 as it was heavily rewritten....

0 Kudos
btlyric
Level 12

What does MediaType.FixContentType do? It sounds interesting...

0 Kudos
alexott
Level 11

It populate Content-Type header with correct media type detected by MWG

0 Kudos
btlyric
Level 12

Oh, hmm, interesting. That may end up being really useful for our implementation. Currently, we log and utilize both the detected MediaType and the header Content-Type. These are often different and a recent issue I ran into was that connections were getting categorized as streaming media based on the McAfee subscribed Streaming Media list, but by the time it hit the log cycle, I only had the header content-type because we weren't specifically monitoring the detected content type through every phase of every cycle.

0 Kudos
alexott
Level 11

If you're interested in getting information about streaming media, then you can also check StreamDetector.IsStream property

0 Kudos
btlyric
Level 12

StreamDetector.IsStream is one of our Stream Detector criteria, but we have had inconsistent results with that. Hoping that in 7.3.x, stream detection is more robust.

0 Kudos
alexott
Level 11

Can you provide URLs where it doesn't work?

0 Kudos
btlyric
Level 12

The only specific one that comes to mind right now is XM Radio -- primary|secondary.hls.streaming.production.ip-content.siriusxm.com.edgesuite.net and primary|secondary.hls.streaming.production.ip-content.siriusxm.com.

In general, I've seen issues with Shockwave Flash ending up in the anti-malware queue and at one point I was skipping examination of the built-in Audio and/or Video lists and that was what led to me trying out the McAfee Streaming Media list, but as mentioned before, I had some issues with that implementation as well so we're now back to a defined list of MediaTypes that we manage.

0 Kudos