Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kbolt
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

Can MWG Stop UltraSurf?

As the heading asks, is there any way the MWG appliance (using MCP and WPAD) can prevent users from bypassing the proxy via UltraSurf?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

3 Replies

Re: Can MWG Stop UltraSurf?

I see that trustedsource.org currently categorizes their main web site as "Anonymizers" with a risk score of 22.  I'm expect they've rated all of their proxies similarly, which we block by category so that we don't need to maintain a black list for this.

kbolt
Level 10
Message 3 of 4

Thank you for the reply, John. The issue isn't that users have access to the UltraSurf website, it's that the UltraSurf application (which requires no actual installation) completely bypasses  the MWG proxy by creating and connecting to a proxy of its own, thus allowing for unrestricted access to the Internet. I can block the website without issue but I cannot block their proxy connections.

McAfee Employee jebeling
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 4

Ultrasurf can be blocked by web gateway without SSL scanning, but the web gateway cannot do it alone. Ultrasurf cannot be blocked by web gateway if the client is allowed to access the Internet directly on any port. It’s as simple as that. You cannot reasonably expect a web gateway to block or filter traffic that it doesn’t “see". Web Gateway needs to be used in combination with Network or host based firewall rules or MCP. Like a host based firewall, MCP has the ability to block access to non-standard ports by process.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community