Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jsippel
Level 7

Blocking category but allowing a site (as Application) within this category

Jump to solution

Hello,

a customer ask us, if we can block an entire category ex. "Social Networking" but allow several sites within this category (ex. Facebook) which are available as Applications.

I have tried to create list to allow facebook while "Social Networking" is blocked. But the list doesn't work. If i try to allow "Social Networking" and block facebook, everything works fine ..

Is it not possible to whitelist applications? Does anyone has some experience an can give me a hint how this can be realized?

Best Regards,

Joerg Sippel

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
asabban
Level 17

Re: Blocking category but allowing a site (as Application) within this category

Jump to solution

Hi Joerg,

this should be possible. It is important to ensure that the URL Filter Category Block action is no longer executed. If you have an "Application Control" top level rule set which calls stop rule set for Facebook, but have another top level rule set for "URL Filter" it will still block.

For testing I would add a new rule in front of the rule that blocks the Category block.

Maybe you can share some screenshots of what you tried to do?

best,

Andre

0 Kudos
5 Replies
asabban
Level 17

Jump to solution

Hi Joerg,

this should be possible. It is important to ensure that the URL Filter Category Block action is no longer executed. If you have an "Application Control" top level rule set which calls stop rule set for Facebook, but have another top level rule set for "URL Filter" it will still block.

For testing I would add a new rule in front of the rule that blocks the Category block.

Maybe you can share some screenshots of what you tried to do?

best,

Andre

0 Kudos
jsippel
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hello,

i have attached screenshots how i have tried to implement it.

I now found out, that it works partial. This rule works if i connect to www.facebook.com but not on www.facebook.de (which i tried before).

Do you have any hint for me how to get it working?

Best Regards,

Joerg Sippel

rule_overview.jpg list.jpg

0 Kudos
asabban
Level 17

Jump to solution

Hi Joerg,

thank you. The rule looks ok for me and you stated that it works fine for facebook.com, which is good. I think that probably facebook.de is not recognized by Application Control. When you access facebook.de it performs a redirect to facebook.com, so I believe when you whitelist the URL filter for www.facebook.de everything should work fine.

It someone goes to facebook.de the request will be allowed, facebook sends a 302 to facebook.com and your application control rules will work.

Best,

Andre

0 Kudos
jsippel
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hello Andre,

yes, i will do it that way and add a whitelist for this case.

Thank you very much for your help!

Best Regards,

Joerg Sippel

0 Kudos
asabban
Level 17

Jump to solution

Sounds good. Let us know if further questions show up :-)

Best,

Andre

0 Kudos