cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chuck99
Level 8

Blocked url from google search

I have a strange problem with the web gateway blocking a url that came from a google search. When I try to do a google search for phdurham and click on the link for www.phdurham.com, the web gateway blocks the site (medium risk) and I get the following url as the blocked site:

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC8QFjAA&url=http%3...

However, when I typed in www.phdurham.com in my browser and went directly to the site, everything is fine. Upon furthur reasearch, I found that results\url from a google search doesn't go directly to the target site, but instead goes through google first to track clicks. Now, does anyone know why the url from the google search is listed as medium risk or how to fix this issue without having to whitelist?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
eelsasser
Level 15

Re: Blocked url from google search

That's odd.

By default, www.phdurham.com should also be blocked when you go to it directly, too:

Capture.png

Or in my logs:

"GET http://www.phdurham.com/ HTTP/1.1" "" "Medium Risk"

0 Kudos
eelsasser
Level 15

Oh, wait. Here's why.

Capture2.png

When you going direct, it's not categorized, so it goes to to the cloud that has a green rating, but google is categorized, so it doesn't go to the cloud.

Regis
Level 12

What version of web gateway are these screen caps from?   My block pages aren't nearly as pretty or nifty and I have block page envy.  

0 Kudos
eelsasser
Level 15

Umm, I highly customize my block pages and put them in the PreConfig for PoC purposes.

There's this style I've been using for a while, since 7.2.

Capture3.png

And a new set i'm working on for 7.4:

Capture2.png

And a reduced one for basic error messages for 7.4

Capture.png

I'm sure we could have a long thread discussion on just block pages.

I've been doing it way back since 6.x.

Capture4.png

Capture5.png

Capture6.png

I have a whole portfolio of ones i've done, but they are branded to the customers and would not appropriate for a public forum.

chuck99
Level 8

Well, that takes care of the why www.phdurham.com works directly. However, how do I get the google url to work. Do I just submit a request to trustedsource?

0 Kudos
fschulte
Level 10

One addition to what's already been said:

The URL filter will also rate embedded URLs (there is a setting to en-/disable that). That means, the URL filter will rate the "forward-url" from google by looking at the domain (google.ca), embedded urls (phdurham.com), and other parameters. Thereby it may come to a different conclusion about the rating than you will get by going to phdurham.com directly.

You could play around with the URL filter settings (e.g. disable the rating of embedded URLs) and see what's best for you.

0 Kudos