cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wajeeh_r
Level 9

Block access of users to MWG while allowing access on second one

Dear Experts,

We have bought two MWG appliances and we also have two internet connections. Our offices are in Four Villas at same place and we want to have like

Villa A and Villa B users connect to MWG1 for their access to internet and if they try to connect to MWG2, the MWG2 should drop their requests, Similarly

Villa C and Villa D users connect to MWG2 and if they try to connect to MWG1 by changing proxy settings in their web browsers they MWG1 should drop their requests

Please note we are using the default mode of the webgateway which is explicit proxy single NIC and users are required to enter MWG IP and port in their browsers.

Please advise how to check this condition in first place before going to any other Rule, Do I need to create groups in AD for that ?

Concerning the Reporter, for example if a user open a website and then gets busy in his work and forget to close the tab or browser where the website is open, is there a way that the browser automatically times out the session, this I need to know because if there is no time out then in report it will show that the user was on the website for 'x' amount of time while in fact he only spent some time there. Any suggestions for this ?

Waiting for responses.

Kind Regards,

0 Kudos
2 Replies
McAfee Employee

Re: Block access of users to MWG while allowing access on second one

Hi Wajeeh,

Q1: MWG has a feature called "Network Protection". You can use this to block certain IP ranges (like VillaA and VillaB) from accessing certain ports (like the proxy port on mwg2). Below is an example of what you would do on MWG2.

network-protection_2013-06-13_183620.png

Q2: Regarding web reporter, for simplicity sake I'm going to say yes and slowly back away and leave this here Web Reporter: How browse time is calculated https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB64344.

Best,

Jon

0 Kudos
wajeeh_r
Level 9

Re: Block access of users to MWG while allowing access on second one

Hello Jon,

For Q1 like you are mentioning to use network protection to block certain IP ranges, the problem is that in Villa A, Villa B the IP number are not in series and there are gaps, it will not work for me, it would be best if I put in group users of Villa A and Villa B in one group and that group requests are not permitted on MWG2 and similarly I put Villa C users in one group and there requests not be processed at MWG1, is this possible ?

For Q2, so you mean to say there is no automatic time out for web browser if there is no user activity and browser is open?

many thanks for your support.

0 Kudos