cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bdoyle
Level 7

Block File upload in webmail

Hi All,

we are trying to block users from being able to add and send attachments in web mail accounts (such as gmail, hotmail etc). We have tried using the Media Type filtering rules, but we can still upload files in webmail. Is anyone aware of any other method of blocking a user from uploading files via webmail?

Thanks,

Brian

0 Kudos
7 Replies
alexott
Level 11

Re: Block File upload in webmail

Hi

Could you provide more information - which MWG version are you using? Which webmail was tested? What file types are uploaded by users and don't blocked by MWG?

0 Kudos
bdoyle
Level 7

Hi,

Sorry, should have mentioned all of this! IT is MWG 7.1.0. Webmail tested was gmail ahd hotmail. We attempted to upload the following file types: PDF, .ZIP, .JPG, .DOCX and .PNG. All of these file types were permitted to be uploaded. In the rule set we have selected all media types to trigger the rule.

-Brian

0 Kudos
alexott
Level 11

Does rule is enabled for embedded cycle? Can you export corresponding ruleset and post it here?

0 Kudos
bdoyle
Level 7

Yes its enabled for the the embedded cycle. it is the standard Media Type Filtering rule which was added from the Library. It has not been modified in any way.

This is the ruleset for the "Upload Media Types".

rule.jpg

-Brian

Message was edited by: bdoyle on 11/04/12 04:09:04 CDT
0 Kudos
alexott
Level 11

Another question - does SSL Scanner is enabled? Gmail & Hotmail use https, so without SSL Scanner we won't able to scan attachments.

I just checked with my development version (7.2) and it blocked MS Word file without any problem. If SSL Scanner is enabled, and MWG still don't block attachments, then please file a bug via support

0 Kudos
bdoyle
Level 7

Yes, SSL Scanner is enabled. Thanks for the assistance, I'll open a case with Support now and investigate with them further.

-Brian

0 Kudos
ozz
Level 7

Hello,

can I know if the problem is solved or not ?! and How ?! I am suffering the same problem

Regards.

0 Kudos