cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phlrnnr
Level 9

Bandwidth Throttling for Specific Sites

Jump to solution

Does it ever make sense to implement bandwidth throttling for a specific URL or URL Host?  For example, today Apple will release IOS 7 to the masses.  If we wanted to throttle any users downloading those specific updates, what would be the best way to implement that?  Assumming I can figure out which URL Hosts are used for IOS updates, will a ruleset with criteria for URL Host applied to it be effective?  If so, would I use the throttle.client or throttle.server event?  It seems like I'd want to throttle things from the server, but would I need to use throttle.client as we need to look at things in request mode to see what the URL Host is?

Thanks for any clarity you can provide!

Phil

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pbrickey
Level 11

Re: Bandwidth Throttling for Specific Sites

Jump to solution

Hi Phil,

Sure. What you are describing is definitely a potential use case.

Have you checked out the Bandwidth Throttling Whitepaper? http://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=PD23273

For downloads, you want to use Throttle.Server - Throttle.Client will be for uploads. The property URL.Host is maintained throughout the connection so it is still available in the Response Cycle.

-Patrick

0 Kudos
3 Replies
pbrickey
Level 11

Jump to solution

Hi Phil,

Sure. What you are describing is definitely a potential use case.

Have you checked out the Bandwidth Throttling Whitepaper? http://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=PD23273

For downloads, you want to use Throttle.Server - Throttle.Client will be for uploads. The property URL.Host is maintained throughout the connection so it is still available in the Response Cycle.

-Patrick

0 Kudos
phlrnnr
Level 9

Jump to solution

Thank you.  I did see a copy of that whitepaper, although the images of the rulesets were blurred and unreadable.  The images in your link look much better.  Your explanation makes perfect sense.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
pbrickey
Level 11

Jump to solution