cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Troja
Level 14

Avira Engine will be removed from GW AntiMalware engine?

Hi all,

has anyone an information for me?? Supposed the Aivra Engine will be removed from the McAfee Webgateway (Gateway Antimalware Engine) product!

Is this true?

If yes, when this is expected?

Cheers,

Thorsten

0 Kudos
7 Replies
btlyric
Level 12

Re: Avira Engine will be removed from GW AntiMalware engine?

Where'd you hear that?

I ask because Avira catches a fair bit of stuff for us that the McAfee engines miss and (in general) throws fewer false positives than the MGW heuristics...

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Hi Thorsten,

I havent heard of these plans.

Perhaps there is confusion around how it works?

The Web Gateway essentially has two engines. McAfee (plus the additional McAfee Gateway Anti-Malware features) and Avira.

av_2013-04-26_130031.png

By default, the option selected is "Full McAfee coverage" which means that McAfee + McAfee Gateway Anti-Malware scanning would be applied. If you selected "Layered coverage" for example, this would mean that McAfee + McAfee Gateway Anti-Malware + Avira (for certain types of files) would be applied in scanning. Etc...

It almost sounds like you are saying that the engines are as follows: 1. Avira+McAfee Gateway Anti-Malware, 2. McAfee -- this is not the case.

Hope this helps,

Jon

0 Kudos
Troja
Level 14

Hi Jon,

i heard this from McAfee directly.

It is important for me to clear this. We have some MWG customers where it is absolutely important using a non McAfee Engine (customer has multiple vendor strategy).

Cheers,

Thorsten

0 Kudos
asabban
Level 17

Hello,

this is not true.

Best,

Andre

Nachricht geändert durch asabban on 29.04.13 09:19:07 MESZ
0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Let's rephrase this a little:

McAfee currently has no plans to remove the option for 3rd party AV engine, which currently is Avira. In case McAfee decides to do this, a notification will be sent to customers and partners upfront. However and to be clear again: No plans for this action currently.

Thorsten, I want to chat about this - I'll give you a ring.

thanks,

Michael

0 Kudos
cscoup8
Level 9

Glad to hear that there's no plans to remove it.

Message was edited by: cscoup8 on 4/30/13 9:56:53 PM CDT
0 Kudos
btlyric
Level 12

Good to hear. We run the Avira engine as our last layer of AV defense and it has saved us a few times.

0 Kudos