Did you mean: 
Highlighted
vkloezer
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 17

Re: Automatic backup Configuration Data

Hello Mr. Elsasser,

is it possible for a scheduled backup to configure the date and/or time in the filename dynamically?

Actually each job run user the same filename overwrite the oldest one.

Thanks and Regards,

Viktor

eelsasser
Not applicable
Message 12 of 17

Unfortunately, no. The filename is static and cannot be substituted with a time or date stamp or hostname.

You will have to use a cron script to customize the process yourself.

consoul
Not applicable
Message 13 of 17

This is my shell script, I run it from a separate management server from cron at 1am.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[root@spork proxy_backup]# crontab -l

# Proxy Backup Script

0 1 * * * /usr/local/scripts/prod/proxy/proxy_backup/proxy_backup.sh > /dev/null

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#!/bin/sh

## logs into each proxy, sets the backup filename and initiates the backup

for i in {10.0.0.1,10.0.0.2,10.0.0.3,10.0.0.4,10.0.0.5}

do ssh root@$i 'UNAME=`uname -n`; TIMESTAMP=`date +%y%m%d`; BACKUP_DIR="/opt/mwg/storage/backup_cache/default"; BACKUP_FILENAME="$UNAME-$TIMESTAMP.backup"; /opt/mwg/bin/mwg-coordinator -B file:in=ACTIVE,out=$BACKUP_DIR/$BACKUP_FILENAME'

done

## logs into each proxy, determines the hostname, syncs all files with that name to backup server and removes them upon success

for i in {10.0.0.1,10.0.0.2,10.0.0.3,10.0.0.4,10.0.0.5}

do UNAME=`ssh root@$i 'hostname'`

rsync --remove-sent-files root@$i:/opt/mwg/storage/backup_cache/default/$UNAME* /root/proxy/proxy_backups/

done

## checks backup server for a count of backup files that are 1 day old, writes a log entry, sends an email upon failure

TIMESTAMP=`date +%y%m%d`

CHECK=`find ~/proxy_backups -mtime -1 -name "*-$TIMESTAMP*.backup" | wc -l`

if [ $CHECK = 5 ]

then

echo "$TIMESTAMP - All is well. Backup files found = $CHECK" >> ~/proxy_backup_status.log

else

echo "$TIMESTAMP - There is a problem. Backup files found = $CHECK" >> ~/proxy_backup_status.log

tail -31 ~/proxy_backup_status.log | mailx -s "Proxy Backup Problem!!" me@mycompany.com,someone.else@mycorp.com

fi

## cleanup routine for files older than 31 days

find /root/proxy/proxy_backups/*.backup -type f -mtime +31 -exec rm {} \;

tnt
Not applicable
Message 14 of 17

Thanks for the very quick help.

I build in the script and change few values. It works. I am very happy. Thanks.

Reliable Contributor asabban
Reliable Contributor
Message 15 of 17

The upcoming MWG 7 version should - as far as I know - contain an internal scheduler which can create backups for you. That should be the official way then. :-)

Best,

Andre

sriinuvas
Not applicable
Message 16 of 17

Hi Asabban,

I am new to MWG

Currently we are running with McAfee Web Gateway 7.4.2.10 and now we wan to install McAfee Web Gateway of latest version on VM

And we want to take the backup from running Appliance and restore the same on new VM.

But while we are taking backup through restore/ backup from current Appliance (McAfee Web Gateway 7.4.2.10), getting error message "Resore failed due to fallowing exception: No backup possible, please check coordinator log files."

Please help me out to take the backup and have some quarries as well

1. how to take the backup?, if from GUI is not possible, can i take the backup either console or CLI

2. Hardware Appliance config (McAfee Web Gateway 7.4.2.10), which is old version can be resorted on latest VM or else shall I download and Install the same old version. (Note. Hard ware appliance is not support to upgrade, because of device is old one (1100E)).

If you help me out as step by step, It would be great full.

Thanks a lot

Srinivas

Reliable Contributor asabban
Reliable Contributor
Message 17 of 17

Hello,

were you able to take a backup on the old 7.4.2.10 appliance? From the description I am not sure if taking the backup fails. If it fails, please take a look at the coordinator log files (Troubleshooting -> Log Files -> mwg-errors -> mwg-coordinator.errors.log), maybe it gives a hint why making a backup is not possible.

If you got a backup you should be able to restore it to the virtual machine. Please note that when the system changes only the policy will be restored, you will need to configure everything that is under the "Configuration" tab from scratch, as this configuration is bound to the hardware ID.

Best,

Andre

McAfee ePO Support Center Plug-in
Check out the new McAfee ePO Support Center. Simply access the ePO Software Manager and follow the instructions in the Product Guide for the most commonly used utilities, top known issues announcements, search the knowledgebase for product documentation, and server status and statistics – all from within ePO.