cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jont717
Level 12

Anti-Malware Scanning after download

I am having a problem with our Web Gateways. 7.0.2.1

After big downloads, around 600MB, the scanning process takes over an hour to complete.  The CPU stays around 60 - 70% the whole time.

Anyone else having this problem with large downloads?  It takes longer to scan than it does to download...this can't be right.   600 MB is not even that big now a days.

01-05-2011 02-25-19 PM.png

3451 seconds = around 58 mins.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
McAfee Employee

Re: Anti-Malware Scanning after download

Hello,

this is just a matter of what you are downloading! If it is a file that contains other nested files and archives, MWG will scan every one of them. This can be lengthy, depending on size of the file. The CPU utilization simply comes from the fact that scanning operations are CPU intesive. As workaround you set a barrier at a certain file size to not scan the file if above this size and let them through.

best,

Michael

0 Kudos
jont717
Level 12

This would be a great option.  How would I setup that rule set?  I want it to be around 200MB = don't scan.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
asabban
Level 17

Hello,

you can use the Body.Size property to Skip AV scanning, e.g. Body.Size greather than ...

Let me know if this helps.

Best,

Andre

0 Kudos
jont717
Level 12

Not sure where to put that rule.  Where is the Scanning rule set for after download?

0 Kudos
asabban
Level 17

Hello,

it is difficult to answer where to put the Rule set without knowing the whole Policy. Based on the Default Ruleset I would try to apply the rule as in the below screenshot (see the first rule):

Bildschirmfoto-37.png

Should basically work, have not tried it for the moment.

Best,

Andre

0 Kudos
jont717
Level 12

This does not work.  I set it to 8mb and i downloaded a 30mb file and it scanned it still after the download.

skipAv.png

0 Kudos
ittech
Level 13

You may want to try putting that rule in the criteria for the whole ruleset?

0 Kudos
jont717
Level 12

This seems to be working. If the file is over 8mb it just downloads with the browser download box.  If it is under 8mb, the Gateway progress page is displayed and the file is scanned.

skipAv.png

0 Kudos
jont717
Level 12

What do you feel is the best file limit size?

0 Kudos