I am having problem inserting a new set of IP ranges into the existing Global IP pool. I have also updated the new license key but the appliance still doesn't recognise the new sets of IP ranges. Kindly advise.
I have provided a range of valid internal IP addresses to the license department together with the hash key and grant number. In return, the license department would generate a set of unlock code and send over to me via email. From there, I cut the unlock code and pasted it into the blank box provided. I have also filled in the grant number at the grant number field provided. Prior to reboot of the appliance, the new set of IP ranges are not display on the Global IP pool. After reboot of the appliance, the problem still exist.
Glad to hear it is now working! Yeah - When when you enter the unlock code, you get the right to use X number of licenses, and that would be based on the range information you provided (you then need to configure those ranges yourself in the GUI, as you have found!). I believe it is the case that each IP covered by the license is not actually 'used' until *vulnerability* data exists in the database for live hosts. For example, if you had 10 /24 networks, and a total of 50 live hosts in each, you would only need a license for 50 x 10 = 500 hosts, and not 256 x 10 = 2560 hosts.