Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mgg
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

Dealing with endpoints with multiple network interfaces and respective IPs

Hi all - I am fairly new to MVM  and pointers on the following would be most appreciated. thanks in advance.

For vulnerability scans, I see duplication on the reports due to endpoints with multiple IP addresses. This causes some pain as the output then needs further manual intervention before it can be presented to stakeholders. Is there a way to manage this better from within MVM?

6 Replies
user83
Level 7
Message 2 of 7

Re: Dealing with endpoints with multiple network interfaces and respective IPs

MVM will try to group Systems with multiple IP Addresses back to the same AssetID number.  Standard reports from MVM are all scan based, however you can create some custom reports that are asset based,  To do this you need to go into the Reports --> Generate Custom Reports section in the MVM GUI.  There are some sample reports you can play with that are Asset based.

Also if you find MVM isn't properly identifying systems with multiple interfaces you can change the Asset identification rules within the Manage --> Assets section in MVM.  A link to the rules should be found at the end of that page.

mgg
Level 7
Message 3 of 7

Thank you for your advise! I will also be looking into implementing the configuration KB81513.

what is KB81513 ?

user83
Level 7
Message 5 of 7

Its a McAfee knowledge base article that outlines where MVM places a file on the target device it scans in order to uniquely identify it.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB81513&actp=null&viewlocale=en_US&showDraft=f...

thank you..currently reading.. again thanks!

where can i find that? SE, Scan Controller or Enterprise, database? hehe

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community