cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fred853
Level 7

unable to do a complete scan computer crashes mid way

Jump to solution

Last several attempts to do a complete scan were unsuccessful.

Computer crashes mid way. Appreciate any suggestions.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Re: unable to do a complete scan computer crashes mid way

Jump to solution

The 98% issue can be manually fixed by

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS102052

If you see an artemis mention that usually indicates you have a virus detected check your Quarantine area in navigation Quarantined and trusted items and see if anything there.

Note what the detection is and the file and folder as sometimes artemis detections can be a false detection.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

two initial thoughts

1. Before you installed McAfee did you have another scanner present did you remove it via its own removal tool?

2. Have you the premium version of malwarebytres or any other paid version of malware software that has a real time scanner that runs all the time.?

First thoughts before we continue

0 Kudos
fred853
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for responding.

Not to my knowledge.

I did have another virus program prior to McAfee........I think it was from Computer Associates but it's been gone for some tim.

fred853
Level 7

Jump to solution

I miss spoke. I did not have a previous AV program on this computer.

I've been messing around with this for over a week & still unable to complete a full scan.

I think the quick scan completes. Today I went higher than usual with 50+ % (usually stopped around 46+ %.

I did contact  a tech by phone but he was unable to find a solution.......more interested in selling me a service package.

I told him I thought McAfee should provide free support for a program that was already purchased. Never had a problem in  the past however I never contacted support before.

An unhappy camper right now!

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

Selvan is a senior tech with support he will help you. Did you get a job number when you called if so post it here as he will check the call details. Usually they onlytry to sell extras when

1. They feel you have a virus

2. You call a commercial support who say they support McAfee but are actually not McAfee some callers do this the correct support link is in my signature below.

3. They think you need techmaster support but...

Really Re the other AV have you run its own removal tool? Then uninstall McAfee (see link in my sig) and reinstall McAfee from your account make sure you do both the windows control panel removal path followed by the MCPR removal tool.

I feel you have parts of the old AV clashing with your McAfee install.

See this link to removal tools of other AVs

How to remove incompatible third-party applications

As a backup try some of the scanners mentioned in the link below if you try malwarebytes install only the free version not the trial of the full premium version.

Tony

Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

How To Uninstall/Reinstall McAfee Consumer Products EXCEPT Anti-Theft
Free Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Removal Tools

0 Kudos
fred853
Level 7

Jump to solution

I received a VT session ID#51806299  when  I spoke to the tech through chat.

I did not call the tel # supplied.

Also the last Quick scan I did hung up at 98% for awhile before eventually completing.

It  seemed to hang up on Rootkit  when  trying the full scan before it crashed.

I also saw reference to Artemis (?)

I hope this sheds some light on my problem.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

The 98% issue can be manually fixed by

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS102052

If you see an artemis mention that usually indicates you have a virus detected check your Quarantine area in navigation Quarantined and trusted items and see if anything there.

Note what the detection is and the file and folder as sometimes artemis detections can be a false detection.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi

By any chance were you able to capture the File type/location at which the Scan crashes. This might be due to the fact that McAfee is not able to access the file for scanning - primarily because of Bad HDD sector. This may also happen due to McAfee having limited access to file/location in your PC such as USB hub. Please post back your Observation to proceed further.

0 Kudos
fred853
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you for replying'

Don't know. I tried doing the scan in background each time.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

Try a manual scan and watch it where it locks up.. maybe also go to teh CA site and download their removal tool that can also be a cause but usually the scan locks up at random percentages

0 Kudos