cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MoxieMomma
Level 7

"system not protected" at Windows start - McAfee SystemGuard set to "manual"

Hi,

Noticed a glitch on the XPS 8100 today -- when powering on the system, it was a bit slow to load all processed in the system tray (although I did get a prompt McAfee icon), and I received notification from the system tray icon (yellow exclamation point) and opened the GUI to see the dreaded "red X". (This happened only once before on this system since I purchased it 4 months ago, & appeared to be a fluke that time.)

"Fix it" did fix everything, so, yes, now "I am protected.

However, when I checked services.msc, I noticed that the SystemGuard service was running, but set to *manual*.  All other McAfee services were & are started and were set to *automatic*.

I assume all McAfee services should be set to *automatic*, so I have no idea how or why SystemGuard had been reset to *manual*.

Before I reboot the system to test this, I thought I might check with you all to confirm that SystemGuard should, in fact, be set to automatic (as opposed to "automatic (delayed start)" or "manual").

Thanks in advance,

MM

PS Current software is the Dell "2009" bundled OEM versions of McAfee: SC 9.15.179; VS 13.15.117 (DAT 6013, dated 6/14/2010 -- haven't received DAT 6014 yet), engine 5400.1158; PF 10.15.106; AS 10.15.106; PC 11.15.102).

Also running MBAM 1.46 PRO (active protection) and SuperAntiSpyware Free (on-demand scan only), WinPatrol (manual start).

Have had no conflicts, crashes or other issues with this configuration, and everything (including Windows 7 and IE8) is fully patched.

System is clean.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Re: "system not protected" at Windows start - McAfee SystemGuard set to "manual"

http://community.mcafee.com/message/94669#94669

Post 37 vinod r is a mcafee tech he says default setting in version 9 you are running is manual. I seem to remember seeing that as well. Several posts re that around.

Keep an eye on that warning

0 Kudos
MoxieMomma
Level 7

Re: "system not protected" at Windows start - McAfee SystemGuard set to "manual"

Hi, Peacekeeper:

Indeed - thanks for your quick reply.

In fact, when I just opened services.msc to re-set it back to manual, it had already done so.

Seems that my attempt to change it to "automatic" (even though it appeared to "stick" when I did it), could not override the default settings.

So, I guess this begs the next question:

Why did I get the "system not protected" alert upon system start last time?

(Sorry, I didn't write down the details of the error messages before clicking  "fix it".)

This happened once before in the 4 months that I've had this system, and seemed to be an isolated occurrence.

I checked msconfig > startup and everything seems in order there.

I have had no problems with MBAM Pro 1.46 loading at Windows startup b/c it actually loads well AFTER McAfee services (and I start WinPatrol manually after everything else is loaded), so I don't think that is the problem.

I haven't had a need to run MVT on this system yet, but I suppose that if it reoccurs, I might need to take that step?

I sure hope McAfee isn't starting to misbehave on this box.

I've stuck with it - reluctantly - for now, since it seems both stable and compatible with my software/hardware.

Thanks,

MM

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Check your event logs they might say why the error occurred. If not monitor...

0 Kudos
MoxieMomma
Level 7

Good idea, but, Nope, nuthin' there.

Will monitor.

If things turn wonky and necessitate uninstall/clean/reinstall, it may well be to another product, so we'll hope things remain stable.

Thanks,

MM

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

We hope as well as you are helping out here and that is appreciated.

0 Kudos