cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
redkite
Level 7

"Your computer is secure" - but it is not?

Jump to solution

Please refer to the appended PDF.

My wife's windows 7 PC is protected by McAfee (Net Protection Plus supplied via BT) which is still displaying the green (no action required) screen but windows recently reported all is not well and attempting to run a scan keeps resulting in "An Error Has Occurred".

This appears to be very poor software design (not fail save) - is it just the BT version or is it an inherent feature of McAfee?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
Level 21

Re: "Your computer is secure" - but it is not?

Jump to solution

Is this an up to date Windows 7 with SP1 & with IE11 installed?   The reason I ask that is because the interface relies on IE for funtionality regardless of the user's default browser settings.

Also as long as McAfee Security Center says you are OK then you are OK.   Something is causing a lack of communication with Windows own Security Center, that's all.

The scan error I can't explain.   But make sure the software is up to date.

Try running the Virtual Technician to see if it can find and fix any issues. http://mvt.mcafee.com/

If that doesn't help contact Technical Support by phone or online chat (both free of charge) via the link below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Removal Tools

5 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Is this an up to date Windows 7 with SP1 & with IE11 installed?   The reason I ask that is because the interface relies on IE for funtionality regardless of the user's default browser settings.

Also as long as McAfee Security Center says you are OK then you are OK.   Something is causing a lack of communication with Windows own Security Center, that's all.

The scan error I can't explain.   But make sure the software is up to date.

Try running the Virtual Technician to see if it can find and fix any issues. http://mvt.mcafee.com/

If that doesn't help contact Technical Support by phone or online chat (both free of charge) via the link below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Removal Tools

redkite
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply Peter.

PC running IE11 and fully up-to-date Windows 8 with McAfee on auto update.

• VT found several issues - Auto Fix fixed all but one.  A second VT run cleared this. 

• Then tried a full scan - still resulted in  "An Error Has Occurred"

• However, the McAfee auto updates then cut in (presumably a blockage cleared by VT) and installed two updates after which the Error appears to have been cured.

Clearly VT is a useful tool!  Strangely I subsequently failed to find any reference to this tool on the McAfee website, was this my poor searching or is it "hidden"?.

Returning to my original (not fail safe) concern, you may well be right ....

"Also as long as McAfee Security Center says you are OK then you are OK.   Something is causing a lack of communication with Windows own Security Center, that's all."

.... in which case VT presumably re-established communications. However, the problem did not seem to clear until the update was installed and this appears to imply that updates might have been blocked for some time.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Sounds good, so is all OK now?

The MVT isn't advertised as a standalone tool but if you went to the Technical Support page I linked above it would be the first thing you would be asked to use in order to get connected to TS so it is there, sort of hidden.  If you no longer need it you can uninstall it in the normal manner, via Control Panel > Programs and Features.

redkite
Level 7

Jump to solution

Yes, now working OK.  Many thanks!

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

That's great.  All the best ;-)

0 Kudos