cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drsameer
Level 7

"Scanning: Rootkit" in scan progress display

my scheduled scan is stuck in rootkit scan at 50% since 4 days. i am not seeing it frequently .it is stuck there, at exactly 121490 items scanned.i cant cancel it. i have shutdown and restarted . it stays stuck. i cant  run a scan now . and since i cant scan the "antivirus" has become useless.

i have mcaffee security center version 12.8 , windows 8, dell inspiron 15 laptop.

Message was edited by: drsameer on 6/28/14 4:36:57 AM CDT
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Re: "Scanning: Rootkit" in scan progress display

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

I gave you your own new thread as that other one was old and had been answered.  That shouldn't be happening.   It doesn't mean it's found a rootkit, just that it's looking for them.   See TS102052 regarding this which was published after that other thread was posted.

The software must be having difficulty unpacking a file or, in rare cases, disk-read errors are occurring.  What operating system is this?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 28/06/14 5:48:26 EDT AM
0 Kudos
bhjohnston
Level 7

I am new to this community and joined because of the same issue.  I run McAfee Total Access on both my Win XP desktop and on my Dell 15R laptop (Win 8.1).  I had no problems running a scan yesterday (28JUN2014) on my pc, but the scan on my laptop never finished (scanning rootkit / hung at 98%).  I finally closed out the effort.

bhjohnston  29JUN2014

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

bhjohnston wrote:

I am new to this community and joined because of the same issue.  I run McAfee Total Access on both my Win XP desktop and on my Dell 15R laptop (Win 8.1).  I had no problems running a scan yesterday (28JUN2014) on my pc, but the scan on my laptop never finished (scanning rootkit / hung at 98%).  I finally closed out the effort.

bhjohnston  29JUN2014

Did you try the FAQ linked in Peacekeeper's reply #1?

0 Kudos
bhjohnston
Level 7

I made my original post to document that I was having the same issue on my Win 8.1 Dell laptop, but did not have the same issue when running the same scan at the same time on my Win XP PC.

bhjohnston  29JUN2014

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Ah, understood.  Thanks.

0 Kudos