cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nowellp
Level 7

quarantine question

Hello
I have Security ceter 9.11 as a Comcast subscriber. The virus scan is 13 and the firewall 10. I do not see dates to give you.
I was reading about a medicine when Mcafee detected a trojan. It was in the detection log as, 'repaired(removed), and in the restored log as 'quarantined'.
Is itcorrect to leave it there or should I have either clicked removed, repaired or sent to Mcafee?
I am obviously unsure of steps to take when you get malware without becoming too confusing.
Thank you for your time.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

RE: quarantine question

If you don't want it I would remove it. It's up to you whether or not to send it in.
0 Kudos
nowellp
Level 7

malware treatment steps

Hello
I'm sorry to bother you but I think I did not ask my previous question correctly.
When a virus is detected and quarantined, is there a right or wrong way to handle it? Or at least a more functional way?
I don't know if quarantine viruses can stay in quarantine indefinetly or if they should be removed as far as safety and functionality are concerned.
I would not want to remove a necessary file and did not know if that happens when you click remove to a virus, or trojan.
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

RE: malware treatment steps

Well, sometimes things are quarantined unnecessarily in which case one would follow this stcky: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=228162
But it means you have to a bit of research or ask around about it. But if it's genuinely malware then there is no point leaving it in quarantine. In that case it is best to remove it completely.
0 Kudos
nowellp
Level 7

malware removal

Thank you for the referrals.
I will study them as they appear a bit complex yet useful.
0 Kudos