cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dlbb667
Level 7

quarantine folder is missing

Jump to solution

A while back I had a lot of files in the quarantine folder from running scans. I had to delete them manually from c: program files/mcafee/virus scan/quarantine. However since I did that, when I check quarantined and unwanted programs, there is never anything listed after I do a scan. When I went to look for the quarantine folder, it was not found. I know I did not delete it, and when I re-downloaded my McAfee Total Protection, the quarantine folder still isn't there. What is going on?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: quarantine folder is missing

Jump to solution

I went to C:\ProgramData\McAfee\VirusScan\with Access Protection off and I cannot find the quarantine folder. I had hidden folders visible and everthing.

I am running Window 7 x64

UPDATE: I was looking at files not data...

Message was edited by: leftisthominid on 4/2/12 1:38:04 PM CDT
0 Kudos
10 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

In Vista/Windows 7 it would be in C:\ProgramData\McAfee\VirusScan\Quarantine  For XP the folder is found at:  C:\Documents & Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\Virusscan

You also now need to disable Access Protection first in SecurityCenter : Navigation>General Settings & Alerts>Access Protection.

Only delete the contents of the folder, not the folder itself.  Don't forget to re-enable Access Protection afterwards.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 05/03/12 8:11:07 EST PM
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Moved to VirusScan as a more appropriate spot.

0 Kudos
dlbb667
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you so much. I did find the folder, but how come there is never anything listed in the quarantined potentially unwanted programs after I run a scan? There always used to to be something there, (cookies), now there never is.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Cookies are no longer quarantined unless they are infected.  They were just clogging up the folders, as you know, and causing too many problems.   They can be cleared using Quickclean or in the browser/options.

0 Kudos
celavey
Level 7

Jump to solution

Are these folders hidden? I still can't see mine..

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Oh sorry, ProgramData is hidden by default.  Go to Tools/Folder Options/View and check Show Hidden Files and Folders. Apply and OK.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I went to C:\ProgramData\McAfee\VirusScan\with Access Protection off and I cannot find the quarantine folder. I had hidden folders visible and everthing.

I am running Window 7 x64

UPDATE: I was looking at files not data...

Message was edited by: leftisthominid on 4/2/12 1:38:04 PM CDT
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

So it's OK now?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Yup it is fine. Also, I've noticed that even with Acces Protection on, Mcafee will shred the .bup files if you ask it to. Thought that piece of information might be good to share.

0 Kudos