cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
reva12
Level 7

on-demand scan reports double the number of items scanned...

Hi all,

I have Mcafee Security Center that was installed by OEM (Dell: xps15 L502 x running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1).

Ever since a major update (at the beginning of 2014 ??), every time I run an On-demand scan, it reports double the number of items as scanned.

This may be pertinent (or not):

There used to be just one Mcafee entry in Startup before the update; but the update introduced a second one. Since they looked similar, I called the Mcafee tech support and they told me that it was not the same and needed to be in Startup:

Here are the relevant registry entries, the "old" key in red and the new in blue:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

@=""

"mcui_exe"="\"C:\\Program Files\\McAfee.com\\Agent\\mcagent.exe\" /runkey"

"mcpltui_exe"="\"C:\\Program Files\\McAfee.com\\Agent\\mcagent.exe\" /runkey"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents]

@=""

I have also attached a screenshot of an example Mcafee On-demand scan report: It shows two items scanned where I had just right clicked on a single file to scan it.

Of course, Mcafee could be double counting in Scheduled Scans as well; but I would not be able to tell because it is a full scan and I do not know how many files there are on my computer.

Other than that Security Center works fine.

Maybe someone could tell me why there is an error in reporting the number of files scanned.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
catdaddy
Level 20

Re: on-demand scan reports double the number of items scanned...

Moved from Security Center to Virus and Spyware protection > Virus Scan > Discussions By Moderator

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

That isn't unusual as often a file that you can see has hidden system files attached to it, other registry entries for instance.

0 Kudos
reva12
Level 7

hmm...

It did not used to behave that way before the update. It happens for all the files I do On-demand scan on. Moreover, the files I use On-demand scan on are just mp3 files that I purchase and download; and I do a scan immediately after downloading each one. So how can system files get attached to downloaded MP3 files (and immediately at that)?

Was just curious; the SC seems to be working okay otherwise anyway.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

It depends on the file in question, I've seen this off and on throughout all the years I've been using the product.  Technical Support are the only people that can verify exactly what was scanned from the encrypted logs.

If you want to try them it is free of charge by phone or online chat from the link below..

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

0 Kudos
reva12
Level 7

This is not an off and on thing with my Security Center (i.e., after the update, early this year); it happens to all the On-demand scans I do on any file.

But I will give the tech support a try sometime soon and report back.

Thank you again.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

OK, good luck.

0 Kudos