cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gizmo247
Level 7

mcshield.exe always active after update and reboot

Internet Security software updated last night (16.8.708) on my Windows 7 Ultimate PC.

After it rebooted mcshield.exe now is continuously active. The CPU profiles visually looks like a comb (e.g. Alternating high usage, low usage, high usage). When I turn off Real-Time scanning off then the CPUs go quiet.

Tried to uninstall, clean and re-install. After re-install the CPUs are quite until I reboot.

McAfee does not create a restore point before updating - Shame on you McAfee!

Anyone else got this issue? Can I try anything else or do I just wait for a fix?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Re: mcshield.exe always active after update and reboot

No mine fairly quiet sitting around 0.2 to 4%. You got indexing active at that time? No scanning or torrenting happening?

0 Kudos
gizmo247
Level 7

Indexing is turned off. It is actually a very bog stardard installation with a 3TB disk acting as an iTunes host and photo storage.

mcshield.exe consumes cpu with no user tasks running.

Idle for me runs between 1% - 25%

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Is this mcshield or on access scanner? You could call support and get them to have a look at your setup. OK on access scanner uses a lot of memory (this will reduce soon I have been told) but high cpu has not been common recently unless you are on a P4 single core cpu with low ram amount.

I would call them and if they stumped ask for an escalation call back.

If all this does not help post your SR job numbers here and I will get a higher tech to call/look into it..

When you uninstalled did you follow

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

ie use windows removal and MCPR removal too?

Also would be good to run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

and reinstall from your account

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 7/11/13 6:16:27 AM
0 Kudos

This could be because of other activities [Like windows update etc]  that might be happening on you machine.

0 Kudos