Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 28

Re: iTunes problem is back...

Can any of you confirm please that this may have been a false alarm or at least is now fixed?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/01/14 7:37:58 EST AM
Reliable Contributor selvan
Reliable Contributor
Message 12 of 28

Hi buster02,

Can you isolate if the issue is really with McAfee by performing the below step...!

Turn Real Time Scanning OFF and Open/Close Itunes Check if Itunes retains preferences by Opening it again.

If issue persists after trying this you can dig deeper by Un-installing McAfee completely and check.

Post back the results here..!

Regards

Highlighted

Hi Selvan

I tried the steps you suggested and updated with Access Protection switched off. The problem has not re-occurred since.

Why did you ask if I had purchased originally from Dell (I had) and why did my auto-updates appear to be working with Access Protection in place?

The outcome seems fine but I am confused by the reasoning - please help. Then I can get this thread closed.

Thanks for your help (and I'm glad I didn't have to go to the trouble of completely uninstalling.

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 14 of 28

I think he referred to Dell because sometimes when the software is supplied via 3rd parties it lags behind the latest version.   Glad it's fixed for you.   I've been following this thread with interest because this time around my iTunes never once acted up.   That's why I was puzzled by this apparent recurrence.

Reliable Contributor
Message 15 of 28

Hi buster02,

The version info you posted seemed to be the older one belonging to McAfee Product by Dell. By now you should have been updated to the latest version of McAfee which resolved the Issue.

In some Odd cases McAfee's Access Protection might prevent the Software from Updating and that's the reason I asked to turn Off AP. I believe that you re-enabled it after updating..!

Regards.

Hi Selvan

1. The problem is BACK today - a pattern seems to be that it occurs if I start iTunes too early .... ie soon after logging into Windows. Maybe it is while McAfee is still checking for updates?

2. The version of McAfee I have on this Samsung was downloaded directly from McAfee using one of my 3 paid licences. It is still at v 12.8 build 12.8.856 (Oct 2013) and AV Engine is now 1758 (3 Jan 2014). Are those versions the ones you would expect?

Yes, AP is switched back on.

This is a real pain. I will try the Real Time Scanning OFF suggestion tomorrow and report findings on here.

Regards

Reliable Contributor
Message 17 of 28

Hi buster02,

Sorry that you are facing the issues again. Can you just check and revert back if the issue disappears after you wait for 5-10mins logging into windows?

Also make sure that all the McAfee Services are enabled in the Startup using "msconfig" utility.

The problem was averted for a while if I waited a while after system startup before opening iTunes. But this last weekend my prefs were all lost again and are lost each time I start up the PC.

I checked msconfig and McAfee Services are enabled in Startup

This is such a pain - I cannot get the wifi update capability to stick in my prefs as all my devices are forgotten each time I start up.

I have not yet tried turning off Realtime Scanning

Reliable Contributor
Message 19 of 28

hi buster02

Was there an update to itunes and / or McAfee. Did Turning OFF RTS resolved the issue..?

Security Centre updated to 12.8.903 on 15/01 (which would coincide with the problem returning)

AV Engine is 1775 updated on 20/01

no change to iTunes

Too late to re-set up my devices now in order to try turning RTS off. Might get time tomorrow.