cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
noppy
Level 7

does the computer clock time/date effect updates/protection

Hi,

I am hoping you can settle a debate for me. I was messing on my brothers computer (in retaliation to something else he did on mine ) and changed his clock/calendar back a month or so. He is arguing that by changing his clock he was open to viruses as macaffee wouldn't have updated corrected/checked for updates as it would be a month behind. I am arguing that Macafee updater wouldn't have cared and just checked against its own internal database and would just continue to stay uptodate. It wasn't a system restore or anything so wouldn't have rolled back any changes, simply the clock/calendar being wrong.

can anyone settle the arguement for me?

thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: does the computer clock time/date effect updates/protection

He was partially right, the software would still be protecting but would not know which update is current because of the machine's incorrect date and time.   So feasibly it could I suppose cause infections to creep in.  It would play havoc with anything that is time-sensitive and antivirus depends on daily updates of course.   There are other applications that rely on the clock too.  So not a good idea to leave a mchine in that state for too long.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 24/04/13 7:14:45 EDT AM
0 Kudos
Highlighted
noppy
Level 7

Re: does the computer clock time/date effect updates/protection

damn i was hoping i was right!

well no need to tell him. ha

thanks for the quick reply

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21