cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Win 7 Antispyware 2012

HELP! My laptop has been infected with a program calling itself Win 7 Antispyware 2012. It is blocking me from opening other programs such as McAfee, my email, browser and any access to the internet. The program keeps asking for registration and payment for full version. I sssume this is a bogus  aimed at gettingf my credit card info. Question is how do I get this off my laptop. Tried rebooting, got same results. Any help much appreciated! JOHN

6 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Win 7 Antispyware 2012

Hi John Retallack,

Kindly download the McAfee fake alert stinger and perform the full scan after completing the scan kindly reboot the machine

Highlighted

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-antispyware-2012

Not do not download the spyware doctor program that they are showing at the top skip down to the steps

Highlighted

I had an issue on a work machine last year with something similar, Norton were no help at all.  One issue I found with it, IE would automatically redirect to explicit adult sites, presumably to encourage users that they really did need to program being offered.

If you don't get any joy with the 2 previous responses try MalWarebytes, it sorted my (or rather my collegues) issue out in short order.

Highlighted

I succeeded! The first best proceedure was to restart in Safe Mode with Network. Before that the machine was crippled. I downloaded Stinger version 10.2.0.444 but running it found nothing and also did a On Demand Scan iniated from Comp[urer. Neither showed any results but somehow the virus was disabled. I was able to restart in normal mode and update McAfee which after a full scan it reported the virus found and deleted. I have not been able to find data on that virus within McAfee but FYI it was located in a game folder. Computer seems OK now. The required reading information helped much!  JOHN

Highlighted

Now a second problem. McAfee Security Scan Plus will not update. Error message: "error initializing Updater interface." Found nothing in the help file. Any thoughts? PS: I am definitely a newby here. JOHN

Highlighted

1st Mcafee security scan plus

McAfee® Security Scan Plus

McAfee® Security Scan Plus is a free diagnostic tool that ensures you are protected by actively checking your computer for up-to-date anti-virus, firewall, web security software and scans for threats in any open programs.

It is not needed when Mcafee is installed You probably left a box ticked when downloading adobe programs and it installed. If you have Mcafee antivirus or Internet security or Total protection installed remove security scan plus.

Best way to remove the win7 antispyare is as I posted. It combined with Mcafee proper products will clean it up.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community