cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Why is McAfee lying , threatening and being dishonest ?

It started over a month ago.

McAfee shows me a big popup telling me my protection is expiring and the only way to get rid of the popup is pay McAfee to extend subscription or to click a button to accept the risk. What risk ? There is no risk, I still have a valid subscription !

What is this policy ? Scaring users , especially vulnerable older people , so they will pay more money to McAfee ? ? ? ?

Duncan

PS: Of course they are right: As soon as one buys a subscription it is expiring. 

8 Replies
Highlighted
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 9

Re: Why is McAfee lying , threatening and being dishonest ?

Hi @Duncan2 

We are sorry for the inconvenience. It is a prompt within the UI that is automatically triggered if your subscription is going to expire. Please let us know from where your are getting alerts from McAfee, is it from McAfee UI or is it from browser. 

Also please check whether Web Advisor is installed and enabled in your browser. 

Regards

Magesh J

Good morning Magesh,

thanks for your response.

I understand this is automatically triggered. But why on earth is McAdee theatening and trying to scare me and my parents with lies ? As long as the subscription is not expired there is no risc at all. Let alone when it expires in 4 months ?!?

Will make a screenshot and post it next time it pops up. Perhaps that can be of help.

Highlighted

Hi, thanks for your response.

The forums does not allow me to post a screenshot. I get the warning that it is "impropriate content" so please surf to the following URL --> https://i.postimg.cc/8PNjt50Y/2020-09-24.png 

I think it it very bad that McAfee is threatening and trying to scare people for no reason. Very dishonest and possibly even illegal.

I have no idea why the message is in Dutch because Win10 and all software on my system, including McAfee, is in the English language.

Duncan

Highlighted

This is the problem with Marketing nag popups. Have you accepted the risk and see if it goes away. Assuming as the mod says this is legit.

Highlighted

But I am protected by McAfee. So how can I be at risk ?

We have a few dozen license and this will definitely be great reason to move back to Norton.

Highlighted

Best you discuss this with the mod. have you Web advisor installed on that PC?

@Magesh 

User needs clarification is this a legit message color not normal McAfee color?

Highlighted

Thanks Peacekeeper

I have no idea who Mod is.

But this is the McAfee website. The person Mod has the opportunity to respond in this thread. I sure hope she has the decency to do so.

Highlighted

You have a moderator (mod) posting above I will ping him

@Magesh 

This user needs assistance sorry missed I already pinged you

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community