cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
uffdawoman
Level 7

Why are my itunes settings disappearing?

I've just read the forums on this problem but want to add my two cents.  I am NOT a techie and I'm using XP on an old Dell for Pete's sake, but the last update I did to Itunes started this mess for me.  I did another new update to both itunes and McAffee today but it doesn't seem to help.  I hope something comes soon, but I just want McAffee to know that if I am going to drop something that is a part of this problem it will be them.  If an old lady like me can see that they can't fix problems like this, well..........

7 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Why are my itunes settings disappearing?

This is  an old and intermittent issue caused by real-time scanning deleting itunesprefs.xml because we think it may be due to Apple is using questionable coding or some process taking too long to complete.  The file stores your preferences.  A quick fix is to temporarily disable real-time scanning when closing iTunes.   It also isn't just McAfee that is doing this, AVG and Symantec, amongst others, were also involved originally.

There's a long thread about it here already:  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/58410?start=0&tstart=0 - it was fixed once but seems to be broken again.

I am stirring the pot to see what can be done, but it seems from an even longer thread at Apple Forums that they aren't acting on it despite several of us having filed bug reports so we shall have to wait and see if McAfee can fix it once again.

on 01/12/13 10:33:53 EST AM
0 Kudos
uffdawoman
Level 7

Thank you for the reply.  You are very helpful.  I will try turning McAffee off before I shut down (big pain to remember).  I'm just concerned that these corporations don't listen to us users anymore.  From the posts this has been happening since JUNE.  Can't two big corporations fix one problem that affects MANY ordinary users. I mean it's the biggest music player out there and a major virus checker, not some obscure programs. 

Thanks again.  I hope it helps if we all voice our complaints.

exbrit
Level 21

They are well aware of it so hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Support are looking for volunteers to have logs taken of the occurrence.  It's up to you if you are willing, I can notify support if so.

The more the merrier and the quicker it will be fixed.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 28/10/13 9:18:01 EDT PM
0 Kudos
uffdawoman
Level 7

Going to be away from my computer for a few days but will volunteer when I can.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

OK, thanks, and good luck.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Those of you with Anti-Virus build 1722 and higher should already have the fix, which was released on Wednesday with the regular update.   Support did not make a huge fuss about it because they wanted to be sure it worked for everyone.  You must appreciate that not everyone's setup is the same as that in the developer's lab so they are relying on responsible feedback.

We will relay it back to them.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Please follow this thread from now on, thank you.

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/58410?tstart=0

0 Kudos