cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VirusScan scanned three boot records instead of two? Something weird is going on

Yesterday, I did a full scan, and my computer somehow scanned three boot records instead of the normal two. I ran the Avast MBR checker and it said I had a default Windows 7 MBR, so no problem

I restarted my computer, loaded the boot manager (it was either F2 or F8) and only saw one boot option. The second boot option was the Windows recovery partion with F9.

I was a bit confused. After Windows restarted. I ran virtual technician and it noted some McAfee process wasn't running, I am guessing that might have had something to do with a recent update or the recent restart. It fixed the problem it detected, and then I ran a full scan, and canceled. The boot record was back to the normal 2. I then loaded up Malwarebytes, updated that, and then ran full scans on both Malwarebytes and McAfee. Nothing was found and the number of boot records was still 2 (where it should be).

Do I have anything to be worried about with regards to a scan saying three boot records, or was that just McAfee screwing up?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Hayton
Level 18

Re: VirusScan scanned three boot records instead of two? Something weird is going on

Do I have anything to be worried about with regards to a scan saying three boot records, or was that just McAfee screwing up?

Don't worry too much unless you see it again. McAfee may have counted one boot record twice, although I've not seen it do that before. Once is a glitch, twice is a gremlin, three times means hit the red panic button  :-)

0 Kudos

Re: VirusScan scanned three boot records instead of two? Something weird is going on

Thanks. I rescanned and it is consistently back at 2. That thing gave me a scare.

Though also today, I got another message from MVT that a certain process wasn't running. It fixed the problem again.

I think it was something to do with the McAfee core. I don't remember the file name.

Message was edited by: leftisthominid on 5/25/12 3:05:22 PM CDT
0 Kudos

I saw it again for the first time since. It somehow scanned a third boot record again. This time I was doing a scan with external hdd. I unplugged the external and set it to redo the scan to see if it was just the hdd.

UPDATE: there were several "2" scans between that first "3" and this second "3". I just got a "2" on the redo. It is probably just the Ext. HDD or a glitch that got me the "3". At least that is what I assume.

Message was edited by: leftisthominid on 6/2/12 5:52:24 PM CDT
0 Kudos

I am thinking the previous post was premature now

Three scans with my ext hdd connected resulted in 3 boot records, so I am guessing the full scan is picking up something there that constitutes a third boot record.

Except for that one time from the first post, I always get 2 boot records without my ext hdd.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Every drive has a boot record even if it isn't a boot choice at startup, there still is a record there of every drive, or partition for that matter.   I think all it saw was your external drive in adddtion to the usual culprits.

0 Kudos
plevenco
Level 7

I have had this problem on numerous occasions.

I have occasionally noticed before (1 or two times far apart) that Mcafee showed 3 boot records, but put it down to fluke or possibly having a form of harddrive present - but I noticed yesterday that this had happened again, but didn't worry in the hope it would go away. Since then Mcafee has shown 3 boot records on at least 2 other occasions.

After the last scan I restarted the laptop and ran a scan again, with the same result. The only equipment connected to my laptop is a wireless USB mouse I have always used.

Please help?

Should I be worried? No items have been detected in recent scans with the exception of 1 Trojan (W32/sality!dam) which was lurking on a memory stick my friend lent me - an old virus that was successfully removed.

If memory serves correctly I had seen a mysterious 3rd boot record before I connected the USB this morning, although naturally I am now doubting myself.

With thanks, Plevenco

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

I'm no expert in these matters and this sort of question is best suited for a Windows help forum really.   Plus this thread is rather old.  If you think it's McAfee-related then Technical Support might be more helpful.  It's a free phone call or online chat and available via Useful Links at the top0 of this page.

0 Kudos