cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virus scans keep crashing PC ?

Hello,

I have the latest version of the McAfee Internet Security package which is fully up to date with McAfee updates. I also have a Windows Vista laptop that again is fully up to date with critical updates etc. For the past month everytime I run a virus scan or it runs on on its own it gets so far and stops. Ita always at 38% and it says:

Scanning C:\....\images\02_interactivity_09lzg.png

It always crashes here on this same file everytime. As it doesn't give me the full location of this file I can't go straight to it and with a Windows scan of the above file name it cannot be found?

When it crashes the PC just locks up, mouse, screen. everything stops working and the only way to get the PC to respond is to force shut down and restart the PC. When I wait for the file to come up when watching the scan even the skip button on the scan consol doesn't work and ir just stops and crashes ?

I'm worries that there may be a problem with my McAfee. I ran a Virtual Technician that said:

1 problem found

VirusScan                     - 3-User McAfee Internet Security 14.5.113
Problem:             DAT out of date
update now

but even pressing update now or pressing fix checked does nothing and it refushes to fix this error ????

0 Kudos
7 Replies

Re: Virus scans keep crashing PC ?

Just to add I have fixed my out of date DAT

0 Kudos
Dinz
Level 16

Hi Gareth,

Please let me know what is the Browser you use and its version ?
Also clarify whether the system has suffered any malware infections in the past ?
How old is the computer ?
Try scanning in safe mode and do let me the outcome ?

Moving thread to virus san 14 - 2010

Regards,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

0 Kudos

I have IE8, Firefox 3.6.6 and Google Chrome installed on my laptop.

My laptop hasn't ever had any malware problems in the past. I've used and kept my McAfee updated for years now.

The laptop is about 3 years old.

In safe mode I have the same problems.

If I run a quick scan then it can do that 100% but if I do a full scan it stops now at 42%, not the 38% I had before but its the same file it stops on:

Scanning C:\....\images\02_interactivity_09lzg.png

I did speak with a Customer Service technican online earlier who said it was a corrupt file that was the problem but when i'm running a windows search it cannot find this file and if I do a scandisk it also doesn't find it ?

0 Kudos
mcneedshelp
Level 7

I am also having this problem where my whole computer crashes at 38%... what to do?

0 Kudos
k3tg
Level 14

Can you post the details of your computer like the previous customer has?

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

and details of file it sticks at. Some very large compressed files might jam the scan up.

0 Kudos
mcneedshelp
Level 7

I have google chrome, had no virus's or anything as my computer is just under a year old. this problem has just started and i will check what it says next time. Thanks

0 Kudos