cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yorkie1234
Level 7

Virus scan causing hanging apps

Virus scan is "detecting" spy-agent.bw!mem in 6 files. In one case it removes it, 3 get quarantined, one wants me to do something (but won't let me) and in the last one, whatever action it's doing is terminated. After the scan, various apps including IE and Outlook Express hang. I have to re-boot. On some attempts at re-booting, I get the blue screen of death (memory dump sort of thing)

Counter spy doesn't pick anything up at all.

I've noticed when I watch the scan, the detections come up straight away, in something to do with root kit?

Th trojan is found in a registry item (winlogon|userinit), and the other 5 in the system32 folder - ntos.exe, sdra64.exe, twex.exe, twext.exe and winlogon.exe.

i'm running XP with service pack 3.

I've tried contacting the virus removal team, bur that's a whole different problem.

Anyone out there help?
0 Kudos
8 Replies
BalaSGS
Level 7

RE: Virus scan causing hanging apps

Hi
Sorry for the inconvenience, are you still having the same issue with computer if yes let us know
How old is the computer?
Let us know if you had any pop-up or advertisement in the computer?
Did you made any recent changes to the computer apart from installing the McAfee products?
0 Kudos
yorkie1234
Level 7

Hi BalaSGS

Unfortunately, still having same problems. Computer is nearly 3 years old - McAfee has been installed and updated since I had the computer.

No new software or hardware recently.

PC wouldn't boot up other than in Safe mode yesterday - tried booting in normal mode, and got BSOD every time (SESSION5_INITIALIZATION_FAILED).

For some reason booted up okay tonight.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Yorkie
0 Kudos
BalaSGS
Level 7

Hi
Can you post the version of McAfee product (Click on about button from the McAfee security center panel and check the Built version of McAfee Product)?
Did you try to boot the computer in LKGC (last known good configuration) from Windows advance menu?
Steps:
Perform the clean boot in the computer (Start-Run-type msconfig-click on startup –disable all then click apply and ok restart the computer)
0 Kudos
yorkie1234
Level 7

Hi there

Security Centre Build is 9.3.151

Virus Scan build is 13.3.127, Dat version 5661.0000

Not tried clean boot up yet. What should I look for when I try it? Do I try a virus scan once it's booted?

Again, Thanks for your help.

Yorkie
0 Kudos
BalaSGS
Level 7

Hi
Clean boot is disabling the startup item in the computer. So once you restart the computer in the normal mode check if you’re getting the BSOD. If not then perform the complete scan with McAfee.
0 Kudos
yorkie1234
Level 7

Hi there

I've booted up in LKGC, having disabled all in msconfig startup. Did a scan - get same results.

When I tried booting up in normal mode, I got the BSOD.

Cheers,

Yorkie1234
0 Kudos
BalaSGS
Level 7

Hi,
I think we have to check with chat support for a live technician support. You can clicking on following link http://service.mcafee.com/ServiceSelect.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS&pt=1&st=CHAT
0 Kudos
yorkie1234
Level 7

Hmm.

That was the first thing I tried when the problem arose. They went through a few things and then told me I'd need to contact virus support.

Given that the problem seemed to be with McAfee, the thought of parting with £60 didn't really appeal or seem fair. However, I tried, but when I got to the payment page, it didn't like my credit card number. Given that it was asking me what state I live in , despite having selected my country as the UK, I'm guessing it didn't realise I was in the UK.

Looks like I'm either going to have to write to McAfee, or uninstall and try something else.

Thanks for your help and advice.
0 Kudos