cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kaesmom
Level 7

Virus Scan version 14, DAT 5964 on Vista - says I'm not protected

I got the automatic update this morning.  Rebooted as instructed.  Ever since then, I have a little red exclamation point that says I'm not protected.  When I open the new security center, it says virus protection is not installed.  However if I try to install it, nothing happens.

We have this on 3 computers and so far mine is the only one that has updated to this new version.  I've turned OFF the auto update on the other computers so I don't have to deal with this 2 more times.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
kaesmom
Level 7

Re: Virus Scan version 14, DAT 5964 on Vista - says I'm not protected

I forgot to mention that I can't run a scan, either.

I'm so incredibly frustrated.  Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?  Thanks so much.

0 Kudos
cjmcmurdo
Level 7

I have the exact same problem.  Not sure how to fix it.  Do any of their tech guys check these posts and offer advice?

0 Kudos
kaesmom
Level 7

Another update ran last night.  I'm now at DAT 5965 but still having the same problems.

{sigh}

0 Kudos
Dinz
Level 16

Hi ,

Could you please provide me with the following information;

What is the computer's operating system ?

How is the computer currently connected to internet ?

Do we have any other security software installed in the computer ?

Kindly update me on the above information and we shall proceed further.

Regards,

Dinesh K

McAfee Online Community Moderator

0 Kudos
cjmcmurdo
Level 7

Windows Vista with all current updates

Connected to the internet via DSL (?)

No other security software installed aside from what comes with Windows - Defender/Firewall

0 Kudos
kaesmom
Level 7

Windows Vista

Connected via a home network - main computer is connected via cable modem

No other security software installed

0 Kudos
cjmcmurdo
Level 7

Got fed up last night.  Computer was taking for ever to reboot, internet explorer/firefox would freeze, hard drive was constantly doing something.

Uninstalled McAfee and reinstalled and am now back to what looks like the original 2009 Security Center version I had before this horrible update.  VirusScan shows version 12.1, not version 14 as before, and the DAT is 5966.

Everything seems OK for now.  I was really impressed with the McAfee product up till now.  Is there a way that I can manually update the product so that I only get virus definitions, etc. but not version updates which it appears I got sometime last weekend?

0 Kudos
kaesmom
Level 7

I just did an uninstall and reinstall.  I got version 14 again, but DAT 5966 and it seems to be working.  So far.  I haven't rebooted yet.  I'm somewhat afraid to...

0 Kudos
NealasMom
Level 7

I have DAT 5978, installed 5/10 and it says I'm not protected.  I have tried to contact support, but everything is a dead end.  Can't install the virtual technician, can't chat or e-mail.  I've been extremely pleased with McAfee to this point, but am totally frustrated now.  Is uninstalling and redownloading the thing to do?

0 Kudos