cAfee Labs - Beaverton

Current Scan Engine Version:5400.1158

Current DAT  Version:5819.0000

Thank you for your submission.

Analysis ID:  5669562

NameFindingsDetectionTypeExtra
videowavemc.exeinconclusiveno

inconclusive [ videowavemc.exe ]

Upon  analysis the file submitted does not appear to contain one of the 200,000 known  threats in the AutoImmune database. The file may contain a new threat, or no  code capable of being infected. Your submission is being forwarded to an Avert  Labs Researcher for further analysis. You will be contacted by AVERT through  e-mail with the results of that  analysis.

Regards,

McAfee Labs

Highlighted
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 12 of 69

Re: Virus Scan freezes on file

I moved the file out of C:Programs to another drive

I scanned just:

C:

Programs

It passed

Twice during the scan it went unprotected

Highlighted

dougr_t3_support wrote:

If you have file VirusScan is freezing on, please submit it to Webimmune https://www.webimmune.net/default.asp

Once you have submitted it please give me the analysis ID.

Thanks,

I went to the link and tried to upload the file.  The file is 900 mb, and the maximum size on https://www.webimmune.net/scanfile.asp is 3 mb.  I did it anyway and now this link has been waiting for the upload for 30 minutes.  I will wait for it to either stop or finish.  I don't know if that big file will be accepted, but I will send you the analysis ID if I get one.  According to the Magellan site, this takes 5.5 hours to download. 

I Just got the message "

Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0113'

Script timed out

/upload.asp

The maximum amount of time for a script to execute was exceeded. You can change this limit by specifying a new value for the property Server.ScriptTimeout or by changing the value in the IIS administration tools. "

Message was edited by: PattiWagen on 12/1/09 10:21 PM
Highlighted

Thanks for submitting the file. I wasn't expecting it to be detected as anything. Now that we have the file on our servers I will be able to have a researcher take a look at it.

Thanks,

Highlighted

I am also seeing the same issue on my XP machine.  Tried full scan 3 different times (one time using online McAfee scan) and it all got stuck on the same spot (Roxio videowavemc).

Furthermore, my PC will now "hang" for 1 - 2 minutes at various times while MCShield.exe maxing out CPU usage at 99% (ex. when opening a JPG file with WindowsPicture and Fax Viewer for the first time after bootup).

This all started happening within the past week or so, and I have had McAfee running on this machine for a few years with no such issues.

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 16 of 69

please escalate to customer service, and you might want to submit the file also

I have not gotten any anser back from them yet

mention there are at least three other people with identical problem

Message was edited by: saty on 12/3/09 11:27 AM

Message was edited by: saty on 12/3/09 11:28 AM
Highlighted

Count me in with the same problem ... went to 'chat' and got a BOT that gave me an elaborate way to get rid of the ofending program but I had already removed the entire Roxio gang of files ..all this accomplished was for the FREEZE to occur on a new and different, unrelated,  file .

I SCAN OFTEN , - - - paranoid... had McAfee for years and the Roxio program for years this CRAP JUST started to happen a few days ago and McAfee does not seem to want to recognize that it is THEIR problem not ours ...we are paying for a product that is not workin and any solution that involves Me spending hours screwing around one file at a time to get the scan to work like it did a week ago is CRAP .

McAfee sends updates and patches all the time ..clearly one of THEM wreaked their own program ... Looking at which file is hanging the program will likely just be wheel spinning ... find one ..get rid of it ..another causes the freeze ...

ALSO  the SKIP button does absolutely NOTHING ..why bother puttingit there if it does not cause the scan to skip that file and go on ... ???

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 18 of 69

yep yep yep

a) I took he program out of that drive, and it freezes on a different one now (also an .exe)

I have not bn able to do a full scn for over aweek now, and I am gettng very POed at McA, and their indifference to this.

THEY HAVE A PROBLEM, for god's sake

I can't even do many tsts because I'm afrai to leave it, as it pegs te CPU at100% for hours

MCAFEE - ARE YOU LISTENING??? THIS STARTED FOR ALL OF US LAST WEEKEND

Message was edited by: saty on 12/3/09 12:45 PM

Message was edited by: saty on 12/3/09 12:45 PM

Message was edited by: saty on 12/3/09 12:46 PM
Highlighted

Count me as another one having the same problem.  Last successful (complete) scan was on November 27.  I had mine set to scan every day (yeah, overkill perhaps, but security is paramount) starting at 4:00 a.m.  The morning of Saturday, the 28th, I noticed that the scan was still running.  Said it was 74% complete.  Very odd, since it was something like 11:30 a.m.  An hour later it was still at 74% and still the same number of files had been scanned at that point.  I had to kill it via Task Manager.

Same thing happened the next three days (call me slow to catch on...).  I've now canceled the scan altogether.  It would always hang on Roxio\VideoWaveMC.exe.  But, since there was a new DAT today, I think I'll let it scan and see what happens.

Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2 (install all updates so never bothered with Service Pack 3 'cuz I should already be covered)

McAfee Security Center - Version 9.15

Virus Scan - Version 13.15

Build - 13.15.113

Last Update - 12/4/3009

DAT Version - 5822.0000

Engine Version - 5301.4018

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 20 of 69

Friday night after work I did a manual scan of the bad file, VideoWaveMC.exe.

It passed, did not freeze

I moved it back to my original (C:) drive, and ran a full scan last night.

It finished the scan, no freezes

It apparently also did not freeze on the second file that it was freezing on, after I moved VideoWaveMC off the drive.

I also have not had any "No protection" message for 18 hours, which is the longest I have gone in a long, long time (not convinced on this one yet)

Am rerunning a full scan tonight.

Try it and see if (assuming you are up to date) if your problem is gone too.

Saty

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community