cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
samta69
Level 7

Virus Scan Won't Reinstall

My PC crashed yesterday and we had to reinstall Windows XP Home Edition, SP3. After we got it up and running, we tried to download Virus Scan from the McAfee website and reinstall it, but it would not install. It indicated that the Installation failed, virus scan failed, etc. We also tried to install the Virtual Technician, but that would not install either. Doe anybody have any ideas?

Note: The PC must be working properly because we were able to install the Windows updates, and I downloaded and installed Adobe Acrobat as a test.
0 Kudos
4 Replies

RE: Virus Scan Won't Reinstall

what version of McAfee are you installing?

what is the exact error message that you receive when trying to reinstall McAfee?

try to run the removal tool of McAfee first.
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one.

after doing the said steps, try to reinstall McAfee Again.

post back if what happens....
0 Kudos
samta69
Level 7

Virus Scan Won't Reinstall

I'll have to check to see what version it is when I get home from work, but it's whatever the latest version is that's on the McAfee website.

Unfortunately, there's nothing to uninstall because there's nothing installed (since I had to reload XP). I'll doublecheck though to make sure. Thanks.
0 Kudos
samta69
Level 7

Virus Scan Now Installed

Plastic, you were right. There were some other McAfee files on my PC. I deleted them and reinstalled the Virus Protection program, and it installed fine this time.

I really appreciate your help!
0 Kudos

RE: Virus Scan Now Installed

thanks for posting back..glad to helpSmiley Happy
0 Kudos