cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmckee
Level 10

Updating issue

I have been having problems with getting the daily updates for about a month now. They will work as normal for several days , then for no reason , they fail with the message "Update problem".  After a couple of days , the updates start working fine for another few days.

I am on dialup (CompuServe). Would the MSCPRXFIX.exe tool possibly work in this case? Or would it mess things up?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Re: One computer has consistent dat update problems

Only if the PC had been on a proxy server.  As you mentioned previously could be a mcafee server issue or your dial up drops maybe.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 1/06/12 6:30:44 AM
0 Kudos
jmckee
Level 10

Checked the system info for CS and it is not set to use a proxy server , so the tool would not help. I'm betting on a server issue at McAfee as every time the failure to update happens , I have been connected the entire time.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

It is not set nor was the Op's PC but it had been in the dimm past.

I would suggest try it if it does not settle down.

I have not seen any update issue recently but then all my family's PCs are on the aussie server which has a light load.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 1/06/12 6:15:03 PM
0 Kudos
jmckee
Level 10

Will do. My system has never been on a proxy as far as I know. It was bought new and CS was the first and only ISP used on it.

What does the tool do? Wouldn't want to end up unable to get online.

Message was edited by: jmckee on 6/1/12 3:59:36 AM EDT
0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Look if you bought it new and CS does not use proxies best to leave it.

Changing servers not on as you would need to uninstall and reinstalling a pain. I wonder I have a thought will get back to you.

sorry idea not feasible If you download from download.mcafee.com it will use the closest server tech thinks faster using the US server..

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 1/06/12 7:29:50 PM
0 Kudos
jmckee
Level 10

Any other thoughts on the issue? It worked for 2 days , then failed to work for the past 3 days. Since it seems to be able to work sometimes , the issue seems likely to be on the McAfee side. The impression I get is that it starts the download , nothing is sent , and my end finally times out with the error message.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

1 thought is

https://community.mcafee.com/message/132561#132561

2. I have another it is to do with deleting the dat folder or file and re-updating but I need to get the steps correct so will post back here when I do.

see

https://community.mcafee.com/message/89842#89842

I assume you tried MVT the virtual technician program?

As this is your issue branching this to its own thread

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 5/06/12 3:08:38 PM
0 Kudos
jmckee
Level 10

MVT only shows that the DAT is out of date. The first link above seems to only deal with broadband and not dialup. I tried the idea of deleting the DAT folder and having it reinstall itself. The reinstall took 5+ hours , but so far is working (fingers crossed).

0 Kudos
jmckee
Level 10

Spoke too soon. It worked for the next DAT update on Tuesday , but on Wednesday , the problem was back. Seems it works for a few days , fails for a few days , then works again.

I suspect the problem is on the server side.

Message was edited by: jmckee on 6/7/12 3:05:45 AM EDT
0 Kudos