cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uninstalling an unknown version of McAfee

Jump to solution

Hello,

My landlord asked me to help her with her computer, so I obliged.  I ran a full scan of MalwareBytes and found 3 registry keys: One that disabled notification that the firewall was off, one that disabled notification that antivirus was off, and one that disabled notification that updates were off.  I removed them.

The computer is running extremely slow and I suspect that McAfee is the culprit.  I think it may be been hijacked and corrupted by a virus on her PC

But here's where it gets weird.  The Red M shield icon in the tray does nothing.  Clicking, double clicking, right clicking.  Nothing happens.  When I go into the control panel to add/remove software and try to uninstall it, it hangs for about a munite then a white box appears.  Nothing is in it.  CLicking it does nothing.  The only way to get rid of it is to kill the process.

I have been able to get a little info out of the toolbar in firefox.  It says it's running SiteAdvisor Version 3.3.1.133.  Last update was 04/24/2011.

I would try to update it, but the computer refuses to allow me to go to any McAfee site, siteadvisor site, etc.  Other websites work fine.

I tried looking for a manual uninstall solution, but not knowing what version she has running makes it difficult.

Does anyone have any ideas?  I'm stumped.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
exbrit
Level 21
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

Re: Uninstalling an unknown version of McAfee

Jump to solution

Try the MCPR removal tool linked under Useful Links at the top of the page.  Reboot immediately it finshes.  Run again if necessary.

5 Replies
Highlighted
exbrit
Level 21
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

Try the MCPR removal tool linked under Useful Links at the top of the page.  Reboot immediately it finshes.  Run again if necessary.

Jump to solution

On a clean PC I am gettiing "The Document ID you entered was not recognized in our system. Please type the Document ID again, and make sure to use the correct prefix." on the link. 

I'm guessing it is temporarily down.  Heading back upstairs to my apartment to check on my other PC

exbrit
Level 21
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

Jump to solution

Sorry for the delay in replying.  No news is good news.  The site started working for me and the uninstall worked perfectly.  Thanks for the prompt and accurate help!

exbrit
Level 21
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

That's good.  All the best ;-)