cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Unable to use Windows after updating the DAT file

You should get reasonable costs back for a PC shop to fix the issue.

Ditto 1 year recontact and ask for 2 years.

Highlighted
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 132 of 317

I'll take care of it for you Mick!

Somer L. Pyron
Knowledge Analyst
ServicePortal: support.mcafee.com
Web: www.mcafee.com
Highlighted
Level 7
Message 133 of 317

Guys,

I had similar problems with not working task bar, network connectivity, etc. ... you name it ... all mentioned here. This was after removing the .dat and recovering the svchost.exe from dll....

The solution is in correct file ownership:

* If you recover svchost.exe while login through AD not as local user - you get the above mentioned issues

* This is because the system cannot use properly use svchost.exe until it can talk to AD, so it knows the user

* Solution is to be local admin user on the machine when restoring the file or to take local admin ownership

I hope someone from McAfee will pick this up and expand it properly for not so advanced users. Perhaps building it into the recovery tool would be fantastic.

I'm not fully out of the woods here as there are other little quirks, but they are trivial and most likely related to corporate networking setup/stagin.

I hope it helps, Tom

Highlighted
Level 12
Message 134 of 317

Thanks Tom, that's the same direction I was going with another user, so this is very helpful.

Somer L. Pyron
Knowledge Analyst
Highlighted
Level 7
Message 135 of 317

Followed all the McAfee advice and none of it works for me!

(Mcafee wouldnt start, SFC was throwing errors, and svchost was not in the dllcache)

Also almost no devices were working, ethernet adapter looked like it wasnt installed, and the USB keyboard didnt work, I had to go borrow a ps2 keyboard after logging in to windows picked up the USB hid device and installed it.

Thank you to lexical for ****************** I can't believe McAfee or MS didn't just host this file.

I booted to safe mode, got rid of mcafee, and copied the svchost in command line, restarted and now it all works! running sfc just to check mcafee didnt hurt anything else.

Message was edited by: Somer Pyron
Link removed: Sorry, this is a copyright violation. The McAfee tool will replace the file. on 4/24/10 11:32:46 PM CDT
Highlighted

Actually Somer commented re this could break Ms license. Will ask her when she wakes...I was going to remove that link as one can never trust links to exes on any forum but I decided to trust that poster.

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 137 of 317

@lexicalk

Now that's what I call help, posting those files. McAfee even the helpful Somers don't get beyond making us use workarounds and workarounds around workarounds. At least I have the infamous svchost.exe available. THANKS!!!

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 138 of 317

Followup to lexicalk: Thanx, It looks like things are working again. When i got the svchost.exe file into system32 I did get a message that I needed to put the sp3 disk in as your file was not compliant with regard to date, but as I cannot find the sp3 disk I just clicked ignore and did a reboot. Screen looks ok and McAfee seems to be upating so apparently I have internet acces too.

That was of great help. THANX AGAIN.

McAfee seems to be running again.

@Somer: I have three files now SVCHOST.EXE marked as in quarantine.

One says W32/Wecorl.a, W32corl.a     21-4-2010 18:30:49

the other W32/Wecorl.a                    21-4-2010 18:30:55

the third is svchost.exe  W32/Wecorl.a  21-4-2010 18:30:41

What should I with these?

There is another in system32 but that seems to be the one that is active.

Thanx.

Highlighted
Level 12
Message 139 of 317

Hi Virginie,

Can you give me a little more detail on what state your computer is currently in after going through the steps? Did you get errors?

Somer L. Pyron
Knowledge Analyst
Highlighted

Interesting point about wireless keyboards and the current problem,  my 'windows' button wouldn't work,  so no start menu or bottom task bar.

But..... I could access control, alt & delete to close down and get around some of my system.

The whole situation made windows quite unstable and flaky.

Where do I apply for compensation ... or free subscriptions to the value of the repair - £70

Very difficult to access the internet for a FIX and information, if this problem as it did, took out your internet connection and a lot more besides.  All my restore points & last known good configuration (safe mode)

But after about 10 years with McA unless I get some idea of compensation,  when the subs finish in November ... I'm not renewing.

My email address is ************  (where my account is registered)

These types of issues are OK if you have other computers,  IT savvy you can acces the computer WITHOUT McA  so you can fix the one that has it.... what situation.

Not a happy bunny.

Message was edited by: Somer Pyron on 4/23/10 10:56:25 AM CDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community